LinuxCNC Install from Hybrid ISO

More
19 Apr 2015 13:37 #57886 by tiger12506
Has anyone *actually* had *any* success installing to HDD from a hybrid ISO on USB?

The problem I'm experiencing is not because of booting -- I'm well experienced with that.
The Debian installer just isn't flexible enough to handle any other iso images as far as I can tell. (I HATE the assumptions the debian installer makes)
It fails at the Installing System step because it can't figure out what distro it is. (I assume it's attempting to find the word 'wheezy')

Thanks to anyone that can help.
tiger12506

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2015 20:27 #57891 by PCW
The Wheezy hybrid ISO works for me on most relatively modern systems
Heres my experience:

Working on:
ASRock H97 Pro4 (w G3258 CPU)
ASRock Q1900-ITX
GIGABYTE GA-J1800N-D2H
Dell E6420 Laptop
BIOSTAR A68N-5000

Problems with:
Intel D525MW Atom
(wont boot from USB, some strange USB file system problems at boot )
HP Stream mini
(Wheezy Starts to boot then USB powers down, Ubuntu 14.04 hybrid ISO USB stick works)

If you are using another distribution and start with a packaged hybrid ISO image
of that distribution It should just work (famous last words)

More
19 Apr 2015 23:52 #57901 by james-mech
Interesting... I have just been pulling my hair out with attempted usb hybrid install on intel atom d525 mainboard and 128gb samsung evo ssd. Live install is fine but no way can I get an actual install. Hangs at around 11% when starting to copy the files over. I gave up...

Going to to installing wheezy and take it from there..

Cheers, james

More
20 Apr 2015 05:36 #57916 by tiger12506
It turns out my problem was due to the fact I was trying to use the wrong install kernel architecture vs. install iso. Booted okay because I was installing onto an external (soon to be internal) hard drive from a 64-bit machine with a 64-bit install kernel, but using a 32-bit hybrid iso. Caused it to fail on the installing base system step.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds