Help Installing/Build http://linuxcnc.org/dists/

More
23 Apr 2015 14:09 #58030 by OOOVincentOOO
Hello,

Here is another question from me. I am gradually finding my way arround ubunto (new user of linuc and linuxcnc). With help of the live CD i got linuxCNC working on Debian and now on 10.04. My goal is to make my own adapted kinetics component. From reading the HAL manual I also require a directory:

src\hal\components

Currently I am working with ubunto 10.04 and version 2.6.7 (blanc install 10.04, took some time getting is working, www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download/21-installing-emc2). In my search how to create my own components (currently) I switched to 10.04.

From previous help I understand I require the following package from:

linuxcnc.org/dists/

After unpacking this file I can find the the directory src\hal\components. So I am slowly getting there. From the install instructions (inside the downloaded pachake) I find:

================
cd src

In the source directory, build LinuxCNC:

./autogen.sh (this builds the configure script)
./configure
make clean
make
sudo make setuid

to run the software go back to the top level directory, and issue:

source scripts/rip-environment
linuxcnc
==================

But I am unsucsesfull this far and I cannot find: src\hal\components after this procedure. I have problems with ./configure and make (clean).

Questions:

- On what location do I store/unpack the *.tar.gz file? Curruntly I use the downloads directory.
- Could someone explain shortly what is is I am trying to do: "RIP?", "BUILD?", "MAKE?"
- What is the difference between the package from the download directory and the standard installation file?
- Where should this linuxcnc directory located on ubunto "src\hal\components"? Currently the only LinuxCNC directory I can find is in my personal folder with all my ini files and hal file.

Sorry to bother you all again! I know you guys have much more important whing to do than helping a newbee. O my wheezy system I can't get the package working (configue, make etc.) and I am affraid I cannot get it working on my currently 10.04 system. Though, I would prefer using the Debian wheezy.

Regards,

Vince

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2015 14:49 #58032 by OOOVincentOOO
Sorry again I just had a brainwave.

Is this the way of working when making modification to e.g. HAL:

1. Download source.
2. Extract files to directory of choice.
3. Rename directory to e.g. "Custom 2.6.7"
3. Modify/edit/create HAL components in this extracted directory.
4. Install the modified on system.

Is this about right?

Regards,

Vince

More
23 Apr 2015 19:06 #58043 by andypugh

Here is another question from me. I am gradually finding my way arround ubunto (new user of linuc and linuxcnc). With help of the live CD i got linuxCNC working on Debian and now on 10.04. My goal is to make my own adapted kinetics component. From reading the HAL manual I also require a directory:
src\hal\components

There is rather more to it than that.

If your custom kinematics is relatively simple you might well be able to compile and install it with "comp" (called "halcompile" in newer versions of LinuxCNC)
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/comp.html

You may well be able to just copy an existing kinematics file (to anywhere you fancy, try this link: git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=linuxcnc.git;a....c;hb=refs/heads/2.6 )

Then make your changes and
sudo comp --install my_new_kins.c

For comp to work you need the linuxcnc-dev package:
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev

If your kinematics won't compile with comp then you will need to download all the LinuxCNC source code and recompile everything. Follow the instructions here to do that:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Git which is an expanded version of wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Instal..._the_source_with_git
The following user(s) said Thank You: OOOVincentOOO

More
23 Apr 2015 20:12 #58045 by OOOVincentOOO
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. What is confusing for me, after the default installation of linuxCNC I cannot find the directory: src\hal\components. This directory is what the manual refers to as location to store my new component before compiling.

At home I will try and compile trivkins to e.g. "MyMachineKinetics". Hopefully I will

Gr,

Vince

More
23 Apr 2015 21:32 #58047 by ArcEye

What is confusing for me, after the default installation of linuxCNC I cannot find the directory: src\hal\components.

That location is for the source code, not a distro or package installation.
It says to install it there because the Submakefile for that dir just builds *.comp, so would pick yours up

If you are using comp / halcompile with an existing installation, just put your source code in your config folder and run comp from there.

(comp --install <compname>.comp)

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: OOOVincentOOO

More
24 Apr 2015 01:58 #58051 by OOOVincentOOO
Hello works like a charm. And quit easily.

:laugh: :cheer: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You :cheer: :laugh:

Now I have created my "own" kinematics file.

File Attachment:

File Name: kk1000skins.c
File Size:2 KB

First I make a mistake and did not rename the hal_init command. Leaving a system not working.

int rtapi_app_main(void) {
comp_id = hal_init("kk1000skins");
if(comp_id > 0) {
hal_ready(comp_id);
return 0;
}
return comp_id;
}

So I switched to my preferred debian live CD.

Now I have to figure out why the Z axis is not moving like I intent! Only in the software I see the Z value change while jogging but not physically. But that is for later worries. But this is not a question for now and in this forum section.

Regards,

Vince
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds