[Debian Wheezy] Easy install LinuxCNC

More
27 Apr 2015 04:46 - 14 Jun 2015 23:15 #58146 by birchy
Attached are 2 "easy setup" scripts for installing an RTAI kernel and LinuxCNC on Debian Wheezy (i386). A clean installation of Debian Wheezy is required before running the scripts. The scripts have been tested using the XFCE desktop version of Wheezy, however I can't see any reason why they would not work with other desktop versions.

MODS/ADMIN: Please test and verify these scripts and if OK, feel free to pin them. :)

File Attachment:

File Name: README.txt
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: wheezy_cnc...6-14.zip
File Size:15 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Jun 2015 23:15 by birchy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KenC, ArcEye

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2015 15:52 #58151 by ArcEye
Hi again,

Glad to see you persevered and can now whip up a working system as required B)

I don't have anything to test with at present, hopefully someone else will be able to.

regards

More
30 Apr 2015 00:02 - 30 Apr 2015 02:04 #58242 by birchy
I'm soooo out of date. There's now a Wheezy installation ISO: linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 02:04 by birchy.

More
30 Apr 2015 14:45 #58256 by ArcEye
You can never have too many alternatives.

Bet what you learnt doing this will benefit you in the future.

There are quite a few people trying to install, who don't have DVD drives and have been completely unable to get the hybrid iso to boot off a USB stick, so this is still an option

regards

More
30 Apr 2015 18:09 #58265 by andypugh
The archive file is a bit hard t extract, as it contains an archive file with the same name...

More
02 May 2015 01:44 #58304 by birchy

The archive file is a bit hard t extract, as it contains an archive file with the same name...

Not sure what happened there,because there are no archive files inside. There is a folder named "setup-cnc", so maybe that was causing a conflict with the original "setup-cnc" tar? Strangely, the archive extrcts OK on my Wheezy machine with a simple right-click -> exctract here...?

I have now updated my first post and uploaded the scripts as Zip file instead. Please let me know if its OK now?

More
14 Jun 2015 22:04 #59812 by Askjerry
I have an install at the ATX Hackerspace (Austin, TX) that was originally built on Ubuntu 10.04 early this year. Axis was upgraded to 2.6 and all was working fine. The host PC started to have issues and was replaced, they downloaded the latest ISO; Debian Wheezy, and reinstalled my configuration files.

Everything appears to work except if you click EDIT to edit the G-Code... apparently, GEDIT does not exist... so AXIS has no clue how to edit the file... it just sits there. I can go to the file and click it... and it will come up in another editor.

How do I fix Axis to be able to just click EDIT and make revisions quickly? :unsure:

Thanks,
Jerry

More
14 Jun 2015 22:15 #59813 by birchy

... apparently, GEDIT does not exist...

Gedit is a standard text editor for Debian/Ubuntu, so I would assume that installing it should resolve your problem. The default install of Debian comes with 'mousepad' text editor, hence the missing dependency. I'll add it to the install script for future reference.

For now, you can simply do:
$ su (enter root password)
$ aptitude install gedit

More
14 Jun 2015 22:57 #59815 by BigJohnT
Or open the Synaptic Package Manager (if you can find it on the silly menu xfc uses) and add it.

JT

More
14 Jun 2015 23:11 #59816 by birchy

Or open the Synaptic Package Manager (if you can find it on the silly menu xfc uses) and add it.

Menu > System > Synaptic Package Manager

Why is that "silly"?

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds