APT, GRUB, and Lilo installation errors

More
16 Jun 2015 06:23 #59865 by joetheme
I'm trying to get this installed onto an older PC but am running into installation problems. After the installation has completed, I get an "apt" error. There is no error code or anything. If I continue, GRUB won't install and neither will Lilo. I'm not sure what's going on. I did the md5sum on the files as suggested and everything checked out. I'm stuck. Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2015 13:40 #59868 by ArcEye

I'm trying to get this installed onto an older PC .

Sorry, we need specifics.

What is 'this' and what are you trying to install onto exactly?

After the installation has completed, I get an "apt" error. There is no error code or anything. If I continue, GRUB won't install and neither will Lilo.

The installation presumably has not completed or GRUB would have been installed already.
An 'apt error' could mean anything, we need the wording of the error.

If starting again and trying to install on the same partition does not work, you will need to give us some more info before we can help.

regard

More
30 Jun 2015 00:51 - 30 Jun 2015 01:14 #60260 by joetheme
Sorry, I should have been more in depth on my opportunities/problems. I'm trying to install LinuxCNC 2.6 from www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/download on a computer that has:
  • Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.26 GHz
  • System Bus speed of 533 MHz
  • System Memory Speed of 266 MHz
  • 512 KB Cache RAM
  • 512 MB Memory
  • 80GB hard drive

The errors are as follows (quoted directly from the pages):
1. "Configure the package manager... apt configuration problem...An attempt to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed."
2. "Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk... GRUB installation failed... The 'grub-pc packaged filed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot."
3. "Install the LILO boot loader on a hard disk... LILO installation failed... Running "/sbin/lilo" failed with error code "127".

I figure errors 2 and 3 are due to error 1, but I'm not 100% on that. I should add that I am able to run LinuxCNC directly from the DVD without an issue. But I want to do a full install so I don't have to reconfigure every time I boot up.

Thanks again for any help you can provide
Last edit: 30 Jun 2015 01:14 by joetheme.

More
30 Jun 2015 02:06 - 30 Jun 2015 02:07 #60262 by ArcEye
Hi

If you search your error message (1) you will find lots of references.
www.google.co.uk/search?q=An+attempt+to+...SRVc6EJYi9swH36KvIAw
It can occur for lots of reasons as you will see.

The first observation I would have is that if you manage to get the Wheezy based distro to install on that machine as is, you may be rather disappointed.
It has a small amount of RAM and a Uni Processor, you would be much better installing the Ubuntu 8.04 based distro.
www.linuxcnc.org/iso/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.iso

Try running the latency-test from the Live image and see what figures you get, before you spend a lot of time on it.

regards
Last edit: 30 Jun 2015 02:07 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joetheme

More
30 Jun 2015 10:10 #60273 by upa-de
You have to make a partition for a boot loader. Make sure it is at /boot. Also make a swap partition. Once i added those two things, debian wheezy installed with no errors.

More
30 Jun 2015 13:30 #60282 by ArcEye

You have to make a partition for a boot loader. Make sure it is at /boot

Sorry, that is just plain wrong.

The boot loader is installed to the MBR in just about every case.

The directory /boot is created automatically in the root filesystem and contains the kernel files, with a sub dir /grub which contains the files used by the bootloader.

It would be possible but completely unnecessary to create a partition which was mounted as /boot

You will be prompted to create a swap partition, or it is done automatically if you choose one of the auto install routes.

One of the many possible causes of this error message is trying to install over an existing linux partition, without formatting it first.

If you have any files you need, copy them to a USB stick first, then format the partition

regards

More
01 Jul 2015 00:17 #60290 by upa-de

You have to make a partition for a boot loader. Make sure it is at /boot

Sorry, that is just plain wrong.

I had the same issue as the original poster the first time. Now it is possible i didn't format it correctly the first time and the partitions i made aren't necessary. I am just trying to help and explain what worked for me. I lost a little storage space as a result.

thanks.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds