latency test freezing

More
12 Sep 2015 01:07 - 12 Sep 2015 06:47 #62476 by colton.S9
i recently tried to install linux on a new computer and got an error telling me that linux doesn't support windows 6.2.9200 SOP yet. to get around this issue i downloaded Oracle VM Virtual Box to set up a separate machine with no systems to interfere with the linux download. it seemed to work, the 2.7 download and set up went smooth, but once i tried the latency test the screen would freeze. i tried a few more times with the same result. i then installed the 2.6 version hoping that it would work but it reacted the same way. I'm new to linux and not a computer wiz so if anyone has any information to fix my issue i would greatly appreciate it.

Processor 1.4GHz
Ram 4GB
System 64bit
Hard disc 8G
Last edit: 12 Sep 2015 06:47 by colton.S9. Reason: not enough info on first attempt..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2015 03:41 #62480 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic latency test freezing
Posting what hardware you are running and perhaps the kernel logs (dmesg)
would make it easier for people to help

More
12 Sep 2015 06:48 #62487 by colton.S9
Replied by colton.S9 on topic latency test freezing
PCW how do i look up the kernel logs?

More
12 Sep 2015 08:41 #62489 by PCW
The dmesg command will print the kernel log, that is, in a terminal window type

dmesg

if you want to paste the results here you can re-direct the output to a file:

dmesg > someoldfilename

More
12 Sep 2015 17:58 #62493 by BigJohnT

More
12 Sep 2015 18:15 #62495 by PCW

i downloaded Oracle VM Virtual Box to set up a separate machine with no systems to interfere with the linux download. it seemed to work, the 2.7 download and set up went smooth, but once i tried the latency test the screen would freeze.

The real time portion of LinuxCNC (including the latency test) will not run
(It may crawl) under a hyperviser Like Virtualbox.

To run the real time portion of LinuxCNC in a usable fashion,
LinuxCNC must be installed on the bare machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: colton.S9

More
12 Sep 2015 22:04 #62498 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic latency test freezing

i recently tried to install linux on a new computer and got an error telling me that linux doesn't support windows 6.2.9200 SOP yet

I presume you got this " linux doesn't support windows 6.2.9200 SPO" error because you tried to install linux from within windoze.

You need to boot from the DVD, not try and run it from windoze, it is a complete operating system, not a program.

The latency-test error you got is because realtime is not running, or as PCW says is running in such a throttled way as makes no difference.

Boot from the DVD and create a separate partition and install to that. So long as you leave windoze where it is, it will still work and GRUB will give you a dual boot menu.

You must go into BIOS and disable 'Secure Boot' and UEFI first, to be able to install .

regards

More
13 Sep 2015 01:11 #62504 by colton.S9
Replied by colton.S9 on topic latency test freezing
i have tried to boot from the DVD.. and the 1st window asks me witch operating system i want to use. Windows 8.1 or Debian GNU/Linux and continue with install. when i chose Debian and continue with install the 2nd window that comes up is "windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause" then it gives me options to fix the problem. but what i don't understand is that windows is still trying to start even though i want to go with Debian and continue install. at the bottom of this 2nd page it states "Info: the application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."and I'm not sure that its saying that the Debian or the windows operating system couldn't be loaded. I'm assuming that windows wont allow Debian to install from this problem. (FYI) i don't believe their are any problems with the Debian DVD files because it booted just fine in Oracle virtual box.
so am i doing something wrong on the booting/installing process?
or is their a way to wipe my computer clean of its operating system and boot from their? i have been looking for a way to do this and i can only find the restore to factory settings..

More
13 Sep 2015 07:14 #62509 by racedirector
Replied by racedirector on topic latency test freezing
See if there is a boot selection key shown when your start the PC, on mine it is F8. From there you can select which thing is going to boot, select your CD/DVD drive and the install disk will boot only, not caring what is installed on the hard drive. The key here is to restart your machine with the DVD in the drive and selecting it to be the first booted item

More
13 Sep 2015 16:16 #62514 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic latency test freezing
colton.s9 wrote:

i have tried to boot from the DVD.. and the 1st window asks me witch operating system i want to use. Windows 8.1 or Debian GNU/Linux and continue with install. when i chose Debian and continue with install the 2nd window that comes up is "windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause" then it gives me options to fix the problem. but what i don't understand is that windows is still trying to start even though i want to go with Debian and continue install. at the bottom of this 2nd page it states "Info: the application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."and I'm not sure that its saying that the Debian or the windows operating system couldn't be loaded. I'm assuming that windows wont allow Debian to install from this problem. (FYI)

You must go into BIOS and disable 'Secure Boot' and UEFI first, to be able to install .
regards

The following user(s) said Thank You: colton.S9

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds