Is it a good idea to install recommended updates

More
24 Sep 2015 12:13 #62935 by kornphlake79
I'm running linuxcnc on the Debian Wheezy distro and don't have any complaints at this point it does what it is supposed to do and I have yet to discover any bugs or glitches. Every time I boot up the computer Debian asks me if I want to install the recommended updates, I understand the updates affect many packages that may have security or stability risks. If this were a computer that wasn't running specialized software and hardware with dozens of hours of configuration I wouldn't hesitate to install the updates, but I'm hesitant to install updates that might break linuxCNC. I know the community is pretty good about reviewing and testing updates before they are released, is my fear of updates baseless paranoia or are updates something I should ignore in this case unless I have problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2015 18:22 - 24 Sep 2015 18:25 #62942 by BigJohnT
The only thing you don't want to update is the OS. If you open up the Synaptic Package Manager and go to Settings > Repositories > Updates and change Notify my of new Ubuntu version: to Never then you are worry free.

JT
Last edit: 24 Sep 2015 18:25 by BigJohnT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds