update instructions 2.6 >2.7 seem to lack clarity

More
28 Sep 2015 16:58 #63120 by SvenH
First of all, thanks to all contributors for making the upgrade and .iso's available.

I am in the process of switching from 2.6 to 2.7 through a fresh install.

In doing so I found some things that may be unclear in the instructions, especially for non native english speakers.

To begin with, the 2.7 install page does not mention that any config made in an earlier version needs to have some details in the configs changed as they are explained in the 2.6 upgrade instructions.
It does make sense to me that the changes are needed but if you have trouble reading English, it can be a big puzzle.

I am having trouble in understanding what I should do with the instruction on the upgrade page: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...dating-linuxcnc.html section " 2. Updating your config"

" The Hostmot2 watchdog now gets handled by the hm2 write Hal function. Remove any addf lines that refer to the pet_watchdog function."

Where should I look for this file?

2.2. Hostmot2 dpll

The Hostmot2 dpll’s default time constant has been changed from 40960 to 2000. The original value could occasionally lead to following errors when software like ntpd and ntpdate adjusted the rate of the linux CLOCK_MONOTONIC time source by up to 1000ppm in a single step. The new value allows the dpll to adjust to the change in the base period frequency without error.

If I find this part with the above directions, that should be ok

2.3. Parport changes
This was clear enough for me but linux novices might need to be told to add # in front of the line in the "yourmill".hal file in the "yourmill" folder in the configs folder.

Or can you just delete the line?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2015 20:57 #63144 by cncbasher
changes are made in your configuration hal file , ~/home/<yourloginname>/linuxcnc/configs/<configurationname>/ *.hal * ini files here

add a # in effect deletes that line from being read , so can be left for future readability etc , or used as a comment
but can also be deleted

you may find depending on your specific configuration in your hal file

addf hm2_xxx pet_watchdog servo-thread or similar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds