linux preempt and mesa ethernet card

More
18 Oct 2015 02:40 #63884 by grub

One missing detail is that you also need to install the uspace version of LinuxCNC

The wiki has instructions for the complete process

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel

Thanks for the info. Added the missing part, although I really think that in the event of having to change the kernel from RTAI to RT/Preemt using a clean-install might be more sensitive than basically scrubbing everything...

If I am not mistaken this whole thing was a "RT≠RTAI" misunderstanding to begin with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2015 02:44 #63885 by johannbuck
Thanks everyone, I think I'm finally ready to Install and use the preempt linuxcnc as soon as my ITX gets here.

I'm now ready to order the 7i92 and PCW, do I need the 7i76 breakout card or is there another one better for

connecting stepper drivers.

More
18 Oct 2015 02:54 - 18 Oct 2015 03:00 #63886 by grub
Following PCW's comment,

need to install the uspace version of LinuxCNC

it might be more sensible to install a clean version of Debian and then add the RT/Preempt kernel, rather than to basically completely change the pre-configured setup from RTAI to RT/Preempt.

All the information for a clean install can be found here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...th_preempt_rt_kernel
if there are any gaps in the documentation you can fill them with information from this post:
linuxcnc.org/index.php/german/forum/9-in...ssieq-and-linuxcnc27
Just make Jessie -> Wheezy, stick with 32-bit and you should have the desired outcome.

If you get stuck somewhere feel free to post in this board.
P.S. Can't really help you with the hardware. You might want to open another topic to elaborate on that one, as this one might attract the wrong (help with OS/Software) people.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 03:00 by grub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johannbuck

More
18 Oct 2015 07:43 - 18 Oct 2015 07:44 #63889 by PCW

Thanks everyone, I think I'm finally ready to Install and use the preempt linuxcnc as soon as my ITX gets here.

I'm now ready to order the 7i92 and PCW, do I need the 7i76 breakout card or is there another one better for

connecting stepper drivers.

If you already have a parallel port breakout board you can use that with a 7I92

If you need a lot of I/O you can use a 7I92 with a 7I76, but in that case you are better off with a a 7I76E
(which does not need the 7I92 since the Ethernet interface is on board)
Last edit: 18 Oct 2015 07:44 by PCW.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds