Why was debian chosen over ubuntu?

More
23 Dec 2015 01:36 - 23 Dec 2015 01:59 #67252 by tjmarch
To all concerned I have made a request to Canonical to make this ISO public on the Linuxcnc.org web site this was my request.

I have made a ISO to install Linuxcnc software it contains Deb files that I created and packages downloaded from Canonical IP to be used on a pre-installed operating system of Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux Mint 17. The install process of Linuxcnc only will take about 5 minutes. The ISO image must be mounted then a script file is run to install the needed packages that are contained in the image. If any packages that are still needed for the install due to flavor differences will download from Canonical Trusty repo. I am requesting permission to make this ISO public and for no personal gain on the Linuxcnc.org web site. ISO image will be free of charge and no gain for Linuxcnc.org.

If I have over stepped my bounds please let me know

Tim March
Last edit: 23 Dec 2015 01:59 by tjmarch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2015 20:28 #67299 by lincamx
What a waste of time, I am pleased that they went debian and not an off shoot of it.
For the most part all distro's work the same, If you know one it should not be hard to pickup on another with the help of the distro forum and google.

Good luck and have fun.

More
26 Dec 2015 05:45 #67331 by cmorley
My major complaint comes down to paper cuts and included libraries.
little things like input focus don't work correctly in Wheezy and I relied on some libraries (eg onboard keyboard)
that is not in Wheezy. Like them or not Ubuntu 's package was well polished and rounded.
And I am using my computer for more then just cnc so that was important to me.
And anything that makes a casual user's life easier is a good thing for linuxcnc

Chris M

More
30 Jan 2016 18:52 #69280 by tjmarch
Received answer from Canonical please see post at link:

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...-8-mint-lmde-2#68341

Tim

More
30 Jan 2016 19:05 #69282 by cmorley
I wonder what response you would get from MINT as they must jump through the same hoops to use Ubuntu base.

Chris M

More
30 Jan 2016 19:21 #69287 by tjmarch
cmorley wrote:

I wonder what response you would get from MINT as they must jump through the same hoops to use Ubuntu base.

I think Mint must have a special agreement with Canonical, because they still use Trusty repository.

Tim

More
18 Mar 2016 21:03 #71883 by tjmarch
hey cmorley
You may want to take a look at this it is not a ISO but you have to compile but it works, very easy to follow readme instructions

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...mint-with-rtai#65402

Enjoy
Tim March

Time to create page: 1.739 seconds