Backup Help and two types of machine

More
20 Jan 2016 17:23 #68838 by Juanolo
Dear friends,

First thanks for the help, it is much apreciated.

I have a machine which is running ok. Now i want yo backup my linuxcnc confing, etc because i need to format the PC to install windows and the linux. How can i do the backup of the actual linuxcnc? after format how can i continue using the config of backup?

The second question is related to the use of two machines in the same PC... I'm building a 3D printer with my cnc but i want to use some times as 3 axis CNC (actual one) and in other times as 3d printer with the 4 axis as extruder. Can i create two different configurations and use the one i want ??

Thanks a lot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2016 20:29 #68847 by Todd Zuercher
Yes, you can set up more than one set of configuration files for the same or different machines on the same PC.

To back up your configuration, simply copy the configs directory in the linuxcnc directory in your home dir to wherever you wish to back it up. Within the configs directory will be a directory(s) for each config you make.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juanolo

More
20 Jan 2016 23:01 #68850 by Juanolo
Thanks for fast response!

I see you need to create a shortcut of each config. Do you know any tutorial on how to do it?

I'm not sure, if i format and perform a clean install of debĂ­an with last linuxcnc and put the backup of my old config will run true?

Thanks a lot

More
21 Jan 2016 00:15 #68853 by geoffs
I did this the other day to upgrade from a Ubuntu 12.04 system to Debian Wheezy. Just backup your home directory and all your linuxcnc config files will be saved along with any user preferences you have set. Restore this when the new system is installed and you will even have your desktop shotrtcuts restored.
(I then made the mistake of upgrading to Debian Jesie and have the wrong kernel for the latest linuxcnc, reinstall again today)

More
21 Jan 2016 00:42 #68855 by fc60
Greetings,

My machine is not LinuxCNC, rather a SmithyCNC adaptation.

Once I got the machine running, I removed the hard drive and cloned it to a second hard drive of identical manufacture. Actually, I made a backup backup.

I can now "monkey" with the settings on the running machine and if something goes wrong, I merely swap one of the cloned drives back in.

I have an older IBM ThinkPad A31P that has two accessory bays. Load the Target drive in one and the Source in the other and use the "Disks" program where a cloning feature is available.

Cheers,

Dave

More
21 Jan 2016 02:21 #68861 by Todd Zuercher
A simple way to create a desktop short cut to start a config, is to first open the Linuxcnc config launcher from the menu, then when you select the config from it's menu there is a check box at the bottom that will automatically create a launcher (shortcut) on your desktop for that config, when you open it.

More
25 Jan 2016 20:50 #69102 by Juanolo
Dear friends,

Everything goes ok with your help! Thanks a lot for the help!

Kind regards

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds