tried to go to debian 2.7.4 linuxcnc from ubuntu

More
22 Feb 2016 02:03 - 23 Feb 2016 18:44 #70463 by okiejim
I have linuxcnc 2.5 ubuntu live/cd and dual boot to debian with linuxcnc 2.7. The debian version gives me a splash screen when trying to run linuxcnc but nothing else. I can get to the stepconf and config my steppers and I chose AXIS from the menu but I can't get linuxcnc axis to work. When I load up 2.5 it works just fine. I'm So new to linuxcnc I don't know what you need nor what to ask about. I did get the demo linuxcnc to cut on 2.5 and now am anxious to start making more things. Would like to be upto date though. I just read that there is a startup script that is run my question is, is there a problem having to versions on the same machine that may be causing the problem. I did this because I am trying to learn it and 2.5 is what I can use for now.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2016 18:44 by okiejim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2016 23:03 #70541 by andypugh

I have linuxcnc 2.5 ubuntu live/cd and dual boot to debian with linuxcnc 2.7. The debian version gives me a splash screen when trying to run linuxcnc but nothing else.

Absolutely nothing else? Does the splash screen disappear or stay on screen?

If you open a terminal and start linuxcnc from the command-line, (command "linuxcnc") are any clues printed to the terminal?

More
24 Feb 2016 05:28 #70557 by okiejim
Thank you yes the screen does finally go away and I am at the desktop. I will try from the termianl like you suggest and see what it says. Thank you for the help.

More
27 Feb 2016 18:04 - 27 Feb 2016 18:07 #70712 by okiejim
OK I just tried another download from linuxcnc and it is still doing the same thing??? I'm so new to this.
My machine is an HP Pavillion a705w.
I tring the current iso from linuxcnc.
From the live cd I get this information
Debian 3.4-9-rtai_686-pre
macnine configuration file is 'axis.ini'
I am able to run the stepconfig program and the axis coniguration programs.

I tried to start it via the terminal as suggested it simply says
Starting Linuxcnc and nothing else the version shows 2.7 on the splash screen.
Any ideas?
I'm hoping the new version is better with the image to gcode. I have 2.5 running via ubuntu.
when I try to load the image which is a png of the sportster script text I want to use I dont see the image on
the screen once it converts to gcode. I get lines and such but not the image? This may be another issue I need
to learn. I did cut the linuxCNC default image just fine when I first tried the software. Im using a home built CNC I built
from a book and the driver is a blue TB6560 which seems to be working fine on 2.5. Thank you for any help in understanding
what I may be doing wrong.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2016 18:07 by okiejim.

More
27 Feb 2016 22:00 - 27 Feb 2016 22:13 #70731 by BigJohnT
To see if you have an OpenGL problem run a low graphic sim.

BTW, if you have an older computer running Ubuntu 10.04 there is no need to change to Debian just follow the upgrade in the manual. I just did that to my CHNC this morning went from 2.5 to 2.7.4 on Ubuntu 10.04. You might note that 2.7 is a bit stricter about the <= => <=> in your hal files.

JT
Last edit: 27 Feb 2016 22:13 by BigJohnT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: okiejim

More
29 Feb 2016 19:52 #70831 by okiejim
Yep I tried that but it kept telling it was missing alot of dependencies?? To much for my old brain to take I will just stay with what is working. I wanna start making things in the wood shop and can't keep trying to upgrade it is just too hard for me. I have some much to learn in just making parts. I am learning sketchucam and gcodetools not sure which is better yet. I like the idea us one machine though. With sketchucam I have to use a windows machine but it easy to see my dimensions. gcodetools does not give me that very easily yet.

More
02 Mar 2016 12:09 #70898 by BigJohnT
If you downloaded the hybrid ISO and burned that to a DVD disk and booted from that then did the graphical install it should just work. However there is no need at this time to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to get LinuxCNC 2.7.4. You just have to make one change in your Synaptic Package Manager as shown in the manual.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...e_to_the_new_version

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: okiejim

More
27 Mar 2016 15:12 #72213 by okiejim
Thank you for the advise BigJohnT.
I did finally do the two upgrades and got to 2.7.4 on Ubuntu. This is all so new to me it takes along time for me to understand and perform everything. It is one of the funnest challenges I have had in a long time though. Thank you for this forum and now I have to learn how to make things with it. So far not so good. Understanding how to really set the cnc up. I just don't get how to set the offset thing for the z axis and it keeps going in too deep causing it to miss steps I will get there though I have gotten close. Thank you again.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds