Latest version of LinuxCNC for Ubuntu 10.04?

More
12 Mar 2016 02:53 #71474 by ehrichweiss
(sorry if this is going through twice, I don't see it in the subject list and there wasn't anything about it being in a moderation queue or the like)
What I've tried:

Latest ISO w/2.7.4 works but too much latency, so I tried

older ISO w/Ubuntu 8.04. Much faster but won't import my Mach3 settings(and I'm guessing it won't import my 2.7.4 settings either since it's a newer version)

So I tried just updating LinuxCNC but Ubuntu 8.04 only supports Python 2.5/2.6 and it needs 2.7(and there are a LOT of libraries that can't be easily upgraded).

That's when I decided to install Ubuntu 10.04 in hopes I could get the libraries in a PPA or the like but now despite everything I've done when I configure it keeps complaining that

"configure: error: boost::python is required to build LinuxCNC"

except I have libboost-python-dev installed. It's only 1.4.2 but it's indeed installed.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I'm normally a Gentoo user but compiling the RTAI sources proved a lot harder than I expected since it seems the instructions for EMC2 on Gentoo are waaay outdated. I use Ubuntu a little but am no guru.

Any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2016 13:33 #71559 by BigJohnT

(sorry if this is going through twice, I don't see it in the subject list and there wasn't anything about it being in a moderation queue or the like)

When you post the message there is a big green box that pops up noting your success and warning you that the message will not show up until it has been approved.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehrichweiss

More
13 Mar 2016 23:03 - 13 Mar 2016 23:04 #71593 by andypugh

When you post the message there is a big green box that pops up noting your success and warning you that the message will not show up until it has been approved.

Unfortunately the Moderators have to remember to check that a post needs approval.

I don't actually approve of this setting. I prefer the occasional spam message to new users not getting timely help.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2016 23:04 by andypugh.

More
13 Mar 2016 23:30 #71596 by BigJohnT
After some research I have changed to two emails that are sent out to be more pedantic and repetitious about the way it works. If you experienced what I did a while back with hundreds of spammers a day you might have a different view on this.

JT

More
14 Mar 2016 02:22 - 14 Mar 2016 02:26 #71599 by ehrichweiss
Yeah, I must have missed that the first time around. The second time I saw it but figured it made zero sense to try to send an "oops" message. I'm cool with moderation. I've had to deal with an equal amount of spam over the years. Not an easy job.

I'm assuming there is a point at which people are taken off moderation?

For the record, after importing the 2.7 settings into 2.5, it said they were fine but then when I started 2.5 with those settings it complained about some extra settings flags(not sure which as I didn't write them down) and I think it said it removed them), I restarted it and everything works like before. Now I'm not getting any realtime errors so that's a huge plus.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2016 02:26 by ehrichweiss.

More
15 Mar 2016 21:17 #71698 by BigJohnT
Only the first post is moderated plus the CAPTCIA game, the next two posts you get to play the CAPTCIA game, after that we figure you not part of the collective.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehrichweiss

Time to create page: 0.341 seconds