Running linuxcnc on a Vnc connection

More
19 Mar 2016 03:14 #71888 by jamby
Hi
I have lcnc installed on a computer in the garage and its setup and running fine on my 3 axis mill. But now I want to be able to run debug my gcode in the preview window of lcnc from my computer in the house. For that I installed tightvnc on the lcnc computer and logged into it frrom the house. However when I attempt to start lcnc axis sim I get a Linux CNC Errors message.

It appears the error is about the XError of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) perhaps because of vnc using :1 instead of the normal operation in :0 window.

Any help appreciated
Jim

Here is the pertinent part of the message the zip file below is the complete message:
Debug file information:

X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
Resource id in failed request: 0xffffffff
Serial number of failed request: 451
Current serial number in output stream: 452
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

File Attachment:

File Name: Linuxcnc.err.txt.gz
File Size:18 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2016 10:48 #71891 by geoffs
What version of Linux (Debian/Ubuntu_ are you running?
I'm running Debian Wheezy and VNC without any issues.

Are you viewing this with Windows or Linux VNCviewer?

More
19 Mar 2016 13:19 #71894 by jamby
geoffs

Its lcnc 2.7.4 from the linuxcnc distro Linux mill 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc i686 GNU/Linux
Viewing with tigervnc on centos the connection works fine and the desktop works otherwise.

Thanks
Jim

More
29 Mar 2016 11:44 #72313 by andypugh
You don't need VNC.

I run LinuxCNC on my machines through a remote X session. The LinuxCNC GUI is displayed on my Mac as just another app.

On the Mac:
ssh -Y andypugh@mill
linuxcnc

Something related that I often do, if I am already running the machine with a local GUI.

ssh -Y andypugh@mill
halcmd -kf
loadusr halmeter pin motion.program-line

That creates a tiny window on the Mac that shows me how the remote job is going.
Rather usefully it displays "0" if the program has finished or if a tool change is needed.

More
29 Mar 2016 14:55 #72328 by jamby
andy

That worked, actually both worked but I have a program paused on the mill right now so I didn't start up linuxcnc as it appeared to want to restart the session. I'll try it after I've finished the part.

I just ran into another problem maybe you know the answer to. Is there a way to get linuxcnc to reload the .ini file without restarting linuxcnc? I need to adjust the compensation amount on Z axis between coming to a plane from above or below its coming up short or long now as the scallop hight is doubled up once it comes to the plane from both directions.

Thanks
Jim

More
29 Mar 2016 16:48 #72342 by andypugh

I just ran into another problem maybe you know the answer to. Is there a way to get linuxcnc to reload the .ini file without restarting linuxcnc?

No. The INI data (and the HAL file) are only read once at startup.

But, your compensation file can be bidirectional:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...s__lt_num_gt_section
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamby

More
29 Mar 2016 20:10 #72349 by jamby
Andy

I thought that was the answer so I made my changes and restarted linuxcnc. I put a 0.01 backlash value into my Z axis and wrote a little gcode to come back to the same plane from both directions and stop. Now comes back to zero from both directions. Now I have to see how that will effect the depth setting when I do a .01 deep finish pass over my existing contour.
Oh yeah before shutting linuxcnc down I moved to a know position then did the restart and reset all axis to the original location.

Thanks
Jim

More
04 Jun 2019 23:31 #135877 by lorenzn
I use:
ssh -Y mymachine mycncstartscript

Sometimes VNC is also convenient. I believe a normal vncserver does not work due to OpenGL.

For vnc I do (on the cnc machine):
x0vncserver -display :0 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd &

This is x0vncserver from TigerVNC. tigervnc.org/doc/x0vncserver.html
First define your password with vncpasswd. Then connect with:
vncviewer thecncmachine:0

More
04 Jun 2019 23:56 #135883 by tommylight
VNC did work several years back when I was using a Nokia N900 to control my machines running Linuxcnc on Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04.
Have not used it since, but I do not think opengl will be an issue as it is running on it's own machine and sending pictures to vnc viewer.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds