UPDATE questions (linux update, 2.7.4 release)

More
01 May 2016 20:37 #74113 by arhi
I apologize if this is documented somewhere but I can't find it after more then hour of searching so decided to ask. I remember while back in the era of EMC there was an issue if you follow the "update manager" of the underlying linux and update the system... everything would go to hell and would either stop working or performance would die ... now, many years later, new name, new age .. what's the deal with updates? I see ~200 updates available, bunch of irrelevant stuff (bind, ssh..) that should not affect how linuxcnc works but some that might like amd64-microcode, aptdaemon, base-files, live-tools (whatever that is)... I see 2 repo's from linuxcnc are added to the system already (linuxcnc.org wheezy base 2.7-rtai + source) I also see 4 more master-rt and 2.7-rt that are not (what are those?) .. and I see from debian wheezy and wheezy-updates .. should those be used at all? or is it safe to update from them? I'm a long time vms/sco/irix/ultrix/solaris/linux user but I never used debian so maybe these questions about repo's are "Stupid" but still..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2016 22:35 #74115 by andypugh
You should install all the offered updates (which may well include LinuxCNC updates).

The only thing you need to avoid is "Upgrading" the operating system.

So, Updates = yes, Upgrades = think before accepting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: geoffs, arhi

More
01 May 2016 22:41 #74116 by arhi
cool, so as long as I'm staying withing "7.10 wheezy" I'm ok, cool thanks :)

how about kernel updates? I don't see any but? I know RH updates kernel inside the release (rh user for many years, they keep the same version but cherry pick updates and backport) not sure what debian does?

More
03 May 2016 15:30 #74178 by andypugh

how about kernel updates?

Kernel updates are actually the problem, if you could upgrade the OS without changing the kernel then there would be no problem.

The basic problem is that the LinuxCNC realtime kernel modules are built against a specific kernel, and will only work with that kernel.

I can imagine (though don't know it for a fact) that if you were to use the uspace version of LinuxCNC and the preempt-rt kernels rather than RTAI that any preempt-rt kernel would work, so you could upgrade the OS, install the preempt-rt kernel and carry on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arhi

More
03 May 2016 15:54 #74180 by arhi
:D cool, thanks. I don't need to upgrade anything really as I use dedicated box for cnc, just hate the "notifications" so I either update the sw or kill the notifications but the red triangle and "xxx updates available" gets on my nerves so it has to go one way or the other :D :D :D but good to know how / why things work :D

btw I seen 2.7.4 is rather new and wheezy is rather old, any reason why 2.7 is not built on top of newer debian?

More
03 May 2016 16:06 #74183 by andypugh

any reason why 2.7 is not built on top of newer debian?

It comes down to the RTAI kernel patches, those lag a fair way behind the latest kernel releases.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arhi

More
03 May 2016 16:52 #74187 by arhi
make sense !! thanks

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds