Migrating config files from Ubuntu to Wheezy

More
06 Jun 2016 19:04 #75574 by krlynn
Apologies for another lame question. And I know it's not exactly an installation issue, but it results from a new installation.

I don't recall every running into any problem moving folders and/or files from a thumb-drive into the LinuxCNC directory when using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but I can't figure out how to get it done with an otherwise working installation of LinuxCNC 2.7-Wheezy. I'm sure it has to do with permissions.

I'd greatly appreciate either instructions or being pointed to where I might efficiently find the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2016 19:33 #75576 by BigJohnT
Copying files in Debian is about as painful as they can make it. One of the many reasons I use LinuxMint with the Mate desktop. If your an adventures fellow you can install LinuxMint like I did. gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/mint17.3.txt

What is the actual difficulty, logging into the thumb drive or copying the file or?

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: krlynn

More
06 Jun 2016 19:46 #75578 by krlynn

Copying files in Debian is about as painful as they can make it. One of the many reasons I use LinuxMint with the Mate desktop. If your an adventures fellow you can install LinuxMint like I did. gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/mint17.3.txt

What is the actual difficulty, logging into the thumb drive or copying the file or?

Thanks very much for the response. I'd already come across another post of yours with detailed instructions for LinuxCNC on Mint. Since I'm using this second computer just to figure out what to use going forward, I don't have a lot to lose by trying. On the other hand, you probably cannot imagine how much I don't know or how thick-headed I seem to be when it comes to Linux. Life gets shorter by the day, and I'm trying to pick my battles.

I have no problem see the Config folder/files on the thumb-drive, and I can move it/them to non-root directories. But the LinuxCNC on Wheezy shows up as root, and I haven't been able to copy/move anything into it.

Assume I need to step into admin rights, but don't know how to do that within the file management application. I'm sure there's a command line method, but it doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

More
06 Jun 2016 20:10 #75579 by BigJohnT
Sounds like you installed as root.

JT

More
06 Jun 2016 20:25 #75583 by krlynn

Sounds like you installed as root.

How would I have done that if it's not the default. I used the Live iso file, selected Graphical, and simply followed the prompts. Any idea where I might have taken a wrong turn?

More
06 Jun 2016 20:38 #75584 by krlynn
Other strange thing is that I could play an audio CD (while testing latency) running Live from a thumb-drive, but can't open audio files on the same CD since doing the full installation. But I can write to a blank DVD in the same drive. I don't care much about being able to listen to music, but it makes me wonder more about what went wrong. All seemed very straight-forward.

More
06 Jun 2016 23:27 #75601 by BigJohnT
That is pretty odd, I've installed the Debian hybrid ISO a few times till I gave up on it and it was straight forward follow the bouncing ball.

JT

More
07 Jun 2016 00:11 #75602 by krlynn

That is pretty odd, I've installed the Debian hybrid ISO a few times till I gave up on it and it was straight forward follow the bouncing ball.

What I thought, once I got a thumb-drive that worked. Maybe I'll try it one more time.

So the LinuxCNC folder (in the Etc directory) should not have root as owner?

If not, any idea where/how I could have instructed that?

More
07 Jun 2016 11:32 #75628 by BigJohnT

What I thought, once I got a thumb-drive that worked. Maybe I'll try it one more time.

So the LinuxCNC folder (in the Etc directory) should not have root as owner?

If not, any idea where/how I could have instructed that?

You do not use any files in the root file system at all and yes all the files in / are owned by root and the files in /home/yourname are owed by you. When you run LinuxCNC for the first time it creates directories in your home folder. This is where your configuration files are. For me it is /home/john/linuxcnc/configs.

JT

More
07 Jun 2016 12:41 - 07 Jun 2016 12:45 #75635 by Todd Zuercher
I have often had to struggle when trying to mount usb drives in Linux, but I do it so infrequently I can't offer much help other than to say you have my sympathy.

Try googling "mounting usb drive debian"

All of your config files go in a Linuxcnc folder in your user's home dir. (It isn't automatically created until after you start Linuxcnc for the first time.)
Last edit: 07 Jun 2016 12:45 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds