Migrating config files from Ubuntu to Wheezy

More
07 Jun 2016 14:33 #75641 by krlynn

I have often had to struggle when trying to mount usb drives in Linux, but I do it so infrequently I can't offer much help other than to say you have my sympathy.

Try googling "mounting usb drive debian"

All of your config files go in a Linuxcnc folder in your user's home dir. (It isn't automatically created until after you start Linuxcnc for the first time.)

Thanks, do you think it might work differently if I burned the iso file to a DVD and installed from that instead?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2016 15:26 - 07 Jun 2016 15:32 #75643 by Todd Zuercher
If you were able to install the system from the USB device, trying again using a DVD disk will not likely give you any different results (unless you configure the installation differently this time around.)

If you were never able to get the Linuxcnc iso, properly installed on the usb drive, and did not install Debian Wheezy with it, then yes you might have better luck burning a DVD.

If you have installed Debian Wheezy from the Linuxcnc iso, (either from USB or a DVD) and you just want to copy over configuration files from another install you just need to copy the config files from the linuxcnc directory in the users home dir, from one machine to the other. No root privileges needed or involved in this process at all.

One note about installing an iso of a CD or DVD to a USB thumb drive. I've found that after doing this you can't really use any unused space on that drive. Unless you do something to recover that unused space. (I haven't had much luck with that.)
Last edit: 07 Jun 2016 15:32 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krlynn

More
07 Jun 2016 16:09 #75644 by krlynn
Thanks. And that sounds like a good solution to the immediate problem.

My concern with a band-aid-and-bailing-wire fix is that that I'll probably run into more, less easy soluble, problems in the future. If I'm going to set up multiple machines, I'd rather figure out what I did wrong so I can understand and avoid doing it again.

Just the same, what you suggest is helpful perspective.

If you were able to install the system from the USB device, trying again using a DVD disk will not likely give you any different results (unless you configure the installation differently this time around.)

If you were never able to get the Linuxcnc iso, properly installed on the usb drive, and did not install Debian Wheezy with it, then yes you might have better luck burning a DVD.

If you have installed Debian Wheezy from the Linuxcnc iso, (either from USB or a DVD) and you just want to copy over configuration files from another install you just need to copy the config files from the linuxcnc directory in the users home dir, from one machine to the other. No root privileges needed or involved in this process at all.

One note about installing an iso of a CD or DVD to a USB thumb drive. I've found that after doing this you can't really use any unused space on that drive. Unless you do something to recover that unused space. (I haven't had much luck with that.)

More
08 Jun 2016 10:26 #75677 by BigJohnT
Just so you know I have hard drives with various versions of LinxuCNC and kernels.
RTAI with LinuxCNC 2.7.4
RT-Preempt with LinxuCNC 2.7.4 Uspace
RT-Preempt with LinuxCNC JA14

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: krlynn

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds