Upgrading Linuxcnc

More
09 Jul 2016 22:04 - 09 Jul 2016 22:28 #77237 by BigJohnT
Upgrading Linuxcnc was created by BigJohnT
If you have a 2.5 install on Ubuntu 10.04 to upgrade you need to do the following:
Changes to your configuration

The user configs moved from $HOME/emc2 to $HOME/linuxcnc, so you will need to rename your directory, or move your files to the new place. In your user configs, check your ini file for references to the old path, such as [DISPLAY]PROGRAM_PREFIX. Update these by changing emc2 to linuxcnc.

The hostmot2 watchdog in LinuxCNC 2.5 does not start running until the HAL threads start running. This means it now tolerates a timeout on the order of the servo thread period, instead of requiring a timeout that's on the order of the time between loading the driver and starting the HAL threads. This typically means a few milliseconds (a few times the servo thread period) instead of many hundreds of milliseconds. The default has been lowered from 1 second to 5 milliseconds. You generally don't need to set the hm2 watchdog timeout any more, unless you've changed your servo thread period.

The old driver for the Mesa 5i20, hal_m5i20, has been removed after being deprecated in favor of hostmot2 since early 2009 (version 2.3.) If you are still using this driver, you will need to build a new configuration using the hostmot2 driver. Pncconf may help you do this, and we have some sample configs (hm2-servo and hm2-stepper) that act as examples.

If you are using a usb joypad you may need to rename the pin

input.0.btn-trigger
to
input.0.btn-joystick .

If you are using NGCGUI you will need to edit your configuration file to remove the line

USER_COMMAND_FILE = ./tkapp.py

as the 2.5 version does not use it.

Note: you don't have to upgrade LinuxCNC to 2.6 just upgrade your configuration then go on to 2.7.

To upgrade your configuration to 2.7
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start..._configuration_files

If you need an older LiveCD they are at linuxcnc.org/iso/

JT
Last edit: 09 Jul 2016 22:28 by BigJohnT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krlynn, bennyb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2018 06:39 #122469 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Upgrading Linuxcnc
BE AWARE THERE MAY BEE Config CHANGES

If You go to MASTER 2.8 You will see a different Interpreter on Start
And The Configs may Go Wheer

BEST is Always to be with the STABLE 2.7.14 at this TIME

CHANGING by Packet Source in SYNAPTIC is best to GO

More
06 Jun 2019 21:02 #136090 by Vector459
Replied by Vector459 on topic Upgrading Linuxcnc
I just purchased a mini lathe with linuxcnc2.5.4 on it and Ubuntu 10.04.LTS. I am used to Mach3 but over the last week and I getting better and understanding this software. I wanted to upgrade to a newer version so this helps. If I follow these instruction and update do I have to reconfig everything all over again ( ports, steppers etc ).. Or do my old setting files carry over to the update?

Since I bout this used and I am not sure of the leadscrews specs etc I wanted to try and save all that info an hoping it transfers over? I am scared I will lose the setttings and have to figure everything out from scratch.

I know with Mach3 you can just save your setting file and it has everything in it when you need to do a fresh install to avoid manually setting up again.

Thanks in advance!

More
06 Jun 2019 21:19 #136095 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Upgrading Linuxcnc
I'd recomend reading the upgrading section of the manual for the version you are upgrading to, (and probably any versions between the one you are using) to check for changes that you might need to make to your configuration. (They are all documented). (There are only a couple of minor changes needed between 2.5 and 2.7)

Yes, backup and store a copy of your config directory off of your computer should you ever need to restore it.

More
06 Jun 2019 21:44 #136100 by Vector459
Ok t thank for the reply. So when you upgrade you just copy your old setting files and that is? No need to go through setup all over again?

Just making sure I understand correctly.

thanks

More
06 Jun 2019 21:59 #136105 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Upgrading Linuxcnc
Yes, just copy.
Granted you do not have any comp installed, and even that can be copied and installed again.

More
06 Jun 2019 22:18 #136112 by Vector459
Comp?

More
06 Jun 2019 22:22 #136115 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Upgrading Linuxcnc
User components, components not included with LinuxCNC that you wrote and installed.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Jun 2019 17:00 #136232 by Vector459
Ok thanks I understand now.

More
20 Aug 2019 02:46 #142540 by kborsum
Replied by kborsum on topic Upgrading Linuxcnc
Back in the early part of the year I acquired an old BOSS-II mill with a equally old tower computer running linuxcnc. I'm trying to replace the tower and paralell port and BOB Board with newer hardware. The AhHa stepper controller boards are still running fine.
Being somewhat new to LinuxCNC I have downloaded and installed the complete package of V2.7 on the new tower. During the download, there was a note to NOT allow ubuntu to upgrade the OS, or allow autoupgrade of the linux part. I am having problems getting linuxCNC to actually load and run, with a whole series of different errors.
I'm running on a Dell tower...not the fastest but adequate for my needs, which is a former Win-10Machine. There are two new parallel port cards that work just fine, as I have seen normal control of all the ports (spindle on/off, brake, and movement in all three axes) while going thru stepconfig. However, it insists on coming up in the AXES GUI and I have yet to figure out how to get it into the gmocappy format--or have it load successfully.

Is there a newer/different version of linuxCNC that would be more suitable for my setup? ie download it and start over?
Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is getting a but frustrating.
Thanks
Kelly

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds