Video Card change effect on latency

More
18 Jul 2016 18:40 #77603 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
I wasn't sure where to put this but I wanted to leave a note about my recent experience with video card change and its effect on latency with Linuxcnc.

I had an old Dell P4 and wanted to use it to drive a foam cutting machine I was building. The latency tests were horrible, over 250000 (yep 250 thousand). I optimized all I could and got it to run around 180000 consistently but that was nowhere near good enough to use.

This is my third machine using Linuxcnc so I thought it best to just junk the old P4 system but I was low on funds after building the machine. I found a brand new, still in the box with all paperwork and driver disk, Matrox 450 for $7.50 so I decided to give it a try.

I was amazed. I swapped out the generic VGA card for the old Matrox 450 and now I get consistent 7500 latencies.

For those not sure if it is worth getting a different card to try to improve latency issues I'd say go for it. Your mileage may vary but you just might save a good old PC from the junk heap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 01:24 #78088 by tommylight
I had a DELL P4 till lately, and it did 15 to 18000 latency with it's built in card, but it never went over 7000 with an old ati card.
I also had a Fujitsu-Siemens workstation that never did over 3000, so i promptly set up a hal config for servo with encoder feed back to the paraport, and sure enough it would count up to 7600 rpm with a 100cpr encoder. The motor could not go any further without giving up, even that was way to much for it since after about an hour of testing it was very hot.
Damn, i miss that F-S.
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds