Removing unnecessary files and aps, etc

More
14 Jun 2010 15:06 #3138 by RetroCNC
Hi everyone, I'm a noobie here. :unsure:

I am unfamiliar with anything Linux, but I am reasonably competent with Windose (and DOS before that).

I have installed Ubuntu and EMC2 from the Live CD and am configuring the installation. On boot, I set up to bypass the login and automatically launch EMC2. Does anyone know how to make EMC2 launch with the window maximized (full screen)?

Also, I plan to use the computer as a CNC control only. So I don't need all the other stuff (like Firefox, email, internet, etc.). Is there a tutorial that tells how to remove all that? Is there a list of the stuff I should keep? It would also be nice to clean up all the extra little icons in the title bar I don't need....

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 14:44 #3159 by RetroCNC
WOW! I had no idea that it would be so difficult to get help with Ubuntu and EMC2. In the end, I suspect I will have a superior system, but if I am unable to get to that end, it looks like I would be better off to go with XP and Mach3. At least there is some support (and I know more about Windose).

More
16 Jun 2010 18:44 - 16 Jun 2010 18:50 #3160 by BigJohnT
When you ask a question not about EMC on the EMC forum you might not get a response if no one knows the answer to an off topic question.

There are four or more places to get help with EMC all from volunteers. Here, the mailing list, the wiki site and the IRC to name a few. Some people hang out here some on the mailing list or the IRC. When you ask a question about Ubuntu you might get a faster response on the Ubuntu forum. I know of no tutorial to strip Ubuntu of things you might consider unnecessary for your particular setup.

I do know you can remove programs with the Synaptic Package Manager... if you figure out what you can and can't remove you might post that here or on the wiki.

Does Mack3 offer support when you pay for it? or is the support you speak of just the CNCZone forum?

John
Last edit: 16 Jun 2010 18:50 by BigJohnT.

More
16 Jun 2010 20:47 #3162 by RetroCNC
BigJohnT wrote:

When you ask a question not about EMC on the EMC forum you might not get a response if no one knows the answer to an off topic question.

Sorry John, I guess I am so ignorant I don't know what is off topic.

BigJohnT wrote:

I do know you can remove programs with the Synaptic Package Manager... if you figure out what you can and can't remove you might post that here or on the wiki.

I'd be happy to, I was only asking to find out if someone has already done this.

BigJohnT wrote:

Does Mach3 offer support when you pay for it? or is the support you speak of just the CNCZone forum?

In all the years I have participated in various forums on line, I have NEVER seen a question posted and take days to get answered as it has here. I participate in several. They are not staffed by people that are paid by some company to provide a service. Their participants are enthusiasts. To suggest that Mach3 support is only available to those that pay is ridiculous. There are several Mach3 groups and none that you have to pay for. they are full of enthusiasts, just as I assume are here.

My comments about support were merely an observation. I have things I need to do. If I don't have an answer to a question after days of no reply, this won't work for me. I will do something different. I was only pointing this out. And, I was also taken aback from the lack of response. It was a complete surprise to me.

More
17 Jun 2010 00:35 #3164 by BigJohnT
Ah and this is a brand new forum so we are gaining enthusiasts every day that want to come over from the dark side... had you investigated a bit more you would have found the IRC and the mailing list and became familiar with them before condemning the nice folks that hang out here. The spirit of Linux is not to hold your hand all the way but to let you explore. If your in a time crunch and need it now I suggest a commercial software solution with a trained integrator to install it.

John

More
17 Jun 2010 01:23 - 17 Jun 2010 01:37 #3165 by RetroCNC
BigJohnT wrote:

this is a brand new forum so we are gaining enthusiasts every day

Sorry, I only showed up a few days ago, I don't know about the membership here. I was told to come here for help. That's all I know about this forum.

BigJohnT wrote:

had you investigated a bit more you would have found the IRC and the mailing list and became familiar with them before condemning the nice folks that hang out here.

I don't see where I condemned anyone. As I said, I was pointing out an observation. It is an observation that is still accurate. I get more discussion about my observations than I do my request for assistance.

BigJohnT wrote:

The spirit of Linux is not to hold your hand all the way but to let you explore.

Wonderful! If you look at my original post, you will see it is a request to be pointed in the right direction to do some exploring. I was told to post here because it is supposedly a great resource. After more than two days without even a peep, I was taken aback. I didn't know what to do so I expressed my concern.

As I said previously, I have NEVER been involved in ANY forum where a question posted went unanswered for more than a few hours - let alone a couple days.

BigJohnT wrote:

If your in a time crunch and need it now I suggest a commercial software solution with a trained integrator to install it.

It is not about that. I was directed here because this forum was supposed to be more helpful than others. I was able to explore the site and make some progress until I hit a stumbling block. So then I asked a question or three. Since I was specifically sent here as a place to get good assistance, I was confused as to why there was no help. THAT'S ALL!!!

I don't know why I couldn't be told I was off topic (if that is actually the case), as I have seen in other forums, and directed to the appropriate venue. Instead I get nothing.

When presented a choice of a community that will answer questions in a few hours or another community that will answer similar questions in a few days, where would you go?

I would go to the community that answers in a few hours. You happen to be in the community that didn't answer for days and when I express my disappointment, you get your poor feelings hurt. I assure you, that was NOT my intention.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 01:37 by RetroCNC.

More
17 Jun 2010 06:06 #3167 by Zig
Retro,

Your linux OS related questions would most probably be handled more expertly and with a greater degree of vim and vigour on UBUNTU community forum.

I refer you to www.ubuntu.com/support .

And just to preempt Your going to the ubuntu support forum, You can infact use the

System -> Administration -> Synaptic package manager

to display installed applications.

Within the package manager You can install and uninstall software.

Enjoy

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds