In the beginning. What version of linux ?

More
27 Aug 2016 11:38 #79539 by Spectre
Ok I am starting from scratch here. I have a computer ready to go with a fresh HD. What version of linux do I format this computer with to run the latest version of LinuxCNC. I have looked at the notes the how too etc but for the life of me it is all too confusing. Everyone seems to be running all different versions of the OS. What is the most reliable one to use please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2016 11:53 #79540 by tommylight
Most use the "wheezy" version that is the best option as it is ready to go. Me and J.T. and some others use Linux Mint 17.2 or 17.3 but that needs a bit of after work. I have a lot of computers so i can fiddle with versions and setups, but if i had only one to work with, i would choose wheezy for sure, and live with it.

More
27 Aug 2016 11:58 #79542 by Spectre
Thanks for that so I can just get the latest version of wheezy and run up the pc with it then get the live CD of linuxcnc and install it as per instructions and I should be good to go then?....Of course I have to do the setups and no doubt config stuff but at least the OS and main program side should be solid...then I will try to stuff up all the files with my editing :)

More
27 Aug 2016 12:16 #79544 by tommylight
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html

Just download the ISO, burn it to a dvd or USB, use it !
You can use that same USB to start the computer with everything, Linuxcnc included, so you can experiment to you hearts content, or install it to a HDD. It is ready to use anyway you need.

More
27 Aug 2016 13:25 #79550 by Spectre
Thanks Tommylight. I didnt realise that the OS was on the download as well and it was integrated. That makes life easier. So it will ask me if I want to format the drive then as well when it boots?

More
27 Aug 2016 13:37 #79553 by tommylight
You have to read the instructions carefully, on that page.
When you boot from DVD or USB it will ask if you want to start a Live version, or to install it to HDD.
You can start Live and test as much as you like, everything works with Linuxcnc and you can actually test the machine, and if you want to install it, just restart and choose INSTALL at the menu.
It is easy, just give it a try.
B.Th.W, when in LIVE mode, it will NOT erase anything on the HDD. But it will not remember the settings you saved. For that you will have to install.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds