Error on Ubuntu Precise

More
10 Sep 2016 09:44 #80289 by G21
Error on Ubuntu Precise was created by G21
Hello everybody,

I am trying to get LinuxCNC working on Ubuntu Precise and I followed the instructions on this page:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...nate_install_methods

I also installed LinuxCNC as described on the bottom of the page. When I now boot into this kernel after pressing 'escape' during boot and selecting 'older versions" the 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae kernel shows up and I can boot into it. My touchscreen is also working but when I try to start any configuration I get an error that says:

Debug file information:
Gen6+ requires Kernel 3.6 or later.
python: ../../../../src/mesa/main/context.c:1549: _mesa_make_current: Assertion `newCtx->Version > 0' failed.
/usr/bin/linuxcnc: line 857: 3123 Aborted (core dumped) $EMCDISPLAY -ini "$INIFILE" $EMCDISPLAYARGS $EXTRA_ARGS
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

I am unable to start LinuxCNC, each time it stops with this error. Seems like it needs a higher level kernel but where and how do I get this, not to mention how do I install this? If this is not a kernel error, then what might the error mean?

Anybody knows how to get my system going? I think I am close, got my touchscreen working but simply cant get LinuxCNC to start due to this kernel error.

Let me know how to get this working please, I have attached the complete error message in case this is needed.

Thanks and best regards,

JB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2016 13:31 #80294 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Error on Ubuntu Precise
When you get an error, it is telling you something.

Gen6+ requires Kernel 3.6 or later.

Since you haven't shared anything about the machine you are using, I have to guess that you are using an i3/5/7 with an intel HD3000 video chip.

The error is GLX / openGL related and covered elsewhere
www.google.co.uk/search?q=Gen6%2B&ie=utf...fUV5ahFMbbmwH2p5vIDA
Basically your hardware is too new for the distro kernel, which does not have the right drivers or headers.

2 possible solutions in addition to any in that search, are use an older video card, or try the software implementation of mesa GL
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...oftware_based_OpenGL

More
12 Sep 2016 01:48 #80353 by G21
Replied by G21 on topic Error on Ubuntu Precise
Thanks a lot! Got it working now. I was under the impression that it was the RTAI kernel that was out to date, been searching for a newer kernel to solve the problem but you were correct, the OpenGl video drivers solved the problems.

After tinkering some time with the Grub.cnf to get the system to boot into the correct kernel (the RTAI kernel was in a sub menu under 'previous versions' and I did not know what to enter under the default boot option to get it to boot but I finally figured it out and the system is working now.

Next is the ATC..... I will be back I guess

Thanks again!!

JB

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds