Can I retreat from noman's land to 2.5

More
31 Oct 2016 20:26 #82283 by Baithog
I tried to replace my 2.5 with 2.7.7 by doing a reinstall. The iso fails during system load after partitioning. New DVD, new iso file, no cigarillo.

I had a live 2.6 DVD. It loads but linuxcnc does not work. It acts like it is starting, then freezes. The task manager says that it is doing something, but whatever it is, it is not connected to the real world.

This started because I wanted to install wifi. I'm getting too old to crawl around on the floor to get to the USB ports on my controller.

So, 2.5 worked fine before I wiped it with the new install. Can I still get the DVD iso for it?

I would still like to have wifi. Is that possible with 2.5?

I've been at this for 2 days now. My DVD drive died in the middle of one install. I never did get a usb thingy to boot. I want my milling machine back and a nice nap.

Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2016 20:58 #82285 by Todd Zuercher
The older iso files that had 2.5 used Ubuntu 10.04 based OS, and were sized for CDs. The later iso files were based on Debian 7 and were too large for a CD (need DVD or other media). Are you sure the drive in your machine is a DVD and not just a CD?
It is possible you downloaded or burned a bad copy, Have you verified your image with the md5 checksums?

Most of the older iso files can be found here.
linuxcnc.org/iso/
For 2.5 you will want the newest of the Ubuntu 10.04 ones.

As to if your wifi will work with it, depends on your hardware, some do, some don't, usually the older the hardware the better.
Some people have found that some wifi hardware can cause latency problems. (Again it is kind of hit or miss)

Good Luck

More
31 Oct 2016 21:25 #82287 by Baithog
That was quick, thanks.

Strange what you can find when you look. I found the original 2.5 disk mixed in with dog pictures. It installed and ran.

It does look like the 2.5 is a CD. The drive in the computer is a DVD drive, so that is unfortunately not why 2.6 and 2.7.7 don't want to work. The wifi is not detected by 2.5.

I'm sure I saw something about getting the update manager to work again while I was prowling the forum last night. I can't seem to find it now.

Is there a way to load wifi drivers without recompiling the kernel? I wasn't having problems with 2.5, so I'm not sure why I would need to upgrade, other than getting access to the office network where all the design gets done.

Larry

More
31 Oct 2016 22:14 #82290 by tommylight
Use a USB drive and check the iso md5sum before installing it on a drive.
Wifi will work most of the time , but if you have an broadcom or atheros chipset wifi,, you have to manualy install the drivers. Use system-additional drivers to do that from the menu.
I am not sure but i think the debian version comes with support for broadcom.

More
01 Nov 2016 10:10 #82301 by andypugh

Is there a way to load wifi drivers without recompiling the kernel? I wasn't having problems with 2.5, so I'm not sure why I would need to upgrade, other than getting access to the office network where all the design gets done

You appear to be mixing up upgrading the OS and upgrading LinuxCNC.
What Linux version were you running hen you were using LinuxCNC 2.5?

You can upgrade LinuxCNC without changing the OS quite easily, but it is somewhat harder to upgrade the OS without breaking LinuxCNC because of the dependency on a realtime kernel.

Your best bet is likely to be to install the OS using the normal (NOT-LinuxCNC) installer, then install LinuxCNC on top using the instructions here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...ng_on_ubuntu_precise

More
01 Nov 2016 14:13 #82306 by Baithog
I am trying to do both. First I was just looking to get wifi working. I decided to upgrade linuxCNC after discovering that my version was no longer supported.

So after 2 days of loading and reloading (and yes I know what a cheksum is and I use it) this is where I am.

linuxCNC 2.5 loads and works - no wifi
linuxCNC 2.6 loads but crashes - wifi
linuxCNC 2.7 doesn't load
Windows 2000 loads and Mach3 works - no wifi
Windows 8 fails for hardware issues

I tried the live 2.6/2.7 CD/DVD on my current office desktop this morning. They all worked.

Something about this old Compaq computer that I'm using as a controller doesn't like 2.6 and 2.7. I should think that it would meet the minimum requirements since it was running WinXP when I got it. I'm not sure of all it's specs, though. I rescued it from the dump 6 years ago.

So, I can get the old versions, as linked to above. If I could get cat5 to the mill without boring through concrete walls and digging trenches, I'd stay with 2.5. For me it needs to be wifi and a newer computer. Many thanks guys.

Larry

More
01 Nov 2016 14:35 #82307 by andypugh

linuxCNC 2.5 loads and works - no wifi
linuxCNC 2.6 loads but crashes - wifi
linuxCNC 2.7 doesn't load

All three versions of linuxCNC can run on a huge variety of Linux operating systems.

What is the crash report message with 2.6? Do any of the sample configs launch? I assume that the fact that you can say that WiFi works means that it is LinuxCNC that is failing to start, not the underlying OS. I would focus your nergies on that one and see why LinuxCNC isn't starting. It might be a config change.

If I could get cat5 to the mill without boring through concrete walls and digging trenches, I'd stay with 2.5.

Have you considered HomePlug? That is how I get the network to my workshop, down the same wires as the electricity.

More
01 Nov 2016 15:08 #82308 by Todd Zuercher
I think a 1GHz P4 with 1gig ram should be sufficient. (512 might be enough). But a PC the age you are referring might be borderline. I my self have an older pc running a machine that started out with EMC2 2.4, and has been updated over the years to the current 2.7. It is still running on the original OS install of Ubuntu 10.04 from the original Live CD (with all applicable updates). I have tried to boot one of the current live Linuxcnc isos on it a couple of times for testing, but I have not been successful either. It would boot but then crash when trying to run a latency test. So I have not tried to install the new OS on that machine. Perhaps sometime when I have the time, I might try sticking in a spare HD to try a fresh installation... "But if it ain't broke don't fix it."

More
01 Nov 2016 15:20 #82309 by Todd Zuercher
Another good wifi option that almost always works, is to buy a wifi dongle that plugs into an Ethernet port. Something like this:
www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-802-11g-Wireles...p2141725.m3641.l6368

More
01 Nov 2016 15:36 #82310 by fc60
I also use LinuxCNC 2.5.4 with Ubuntu 10.4.

I purchased an SMCWUSB-G wireless adapter and it works great!

The case is rather large and bulky; but, the adapter came with a USB extension cable and I am able to plug it into the back of my machine.

Cheers,

Dave

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds