Can I retreat from noman's land to 2.5

More
02 Nov 2016 02:52 #82334 by Baithog

What is the crash report message with 2.6? Do any of the sample configs launch? I assume that the fact that you can say that WiFi works means that it is LinuxCNC that is failing to start, not the underlying OS. I would focus your nergies on that one and see why LinuxCNC isn't starting. It might be a config change.

If I could get cat5 to the mill without boring through concrete walls and digging trenches, I'd stay with 2.5.

Have you considered HomePlug? That is how I get the network to my workshop, down the same wires as the electricity.

No crash report because the OS thinks linucCNC is running. The splash screen displays after the interface (axis) is selected. Eventually the splash screen disappears, but nothing happens after that. I can get herky jerky access to the graphical operating system interface. The task manager shows linuxCNC threads, but there is no way to interact with them and I can't get them killed through the task manager. I have not tried to kill the processes through a terminal. While I did SA/DBA for an HPUX factory floor, development system and engineering on a SUSE desktop, I have not done unix for many years now. I am really rusty.

I didn't realize that they still did the power line thing. I was a beta tester for a comcast home networking back in the '80s. That was before wifi and not all that reliable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2016 11:04 #82339 by andypugh

No crash report because the OS thinks linucCNC is running. The splash screen displays after the interface (axis) is selected. Eventually the splash screen disappears, but nothing happens after that

I wonder if the GUI is simply appearing on a different desktop, or off-screen or something odd like that.

Can you try starting LinuxCNC from the command line (command "linuxcnc" :-) ) and then copy/paste the output here.
Ditto for the last 20 lines of the output of the dmesg command after launching LinuxCNC.

I didn't realize that they still did the power line thing. I was a beta tester for a comcast home networking back in the '80s. That was before wifi and not all that reliable.

It seems to have got better. It even lets me wake-up the CNC machines with Wake-on-LAN from the house if I want access to them, or to get them reay for my arrival in the workshop. You can't do that with WiFi.

More
02 Nov 2016 17:19 #82353 by Baithog
user@debien:-$ linuxcnc
Machine configuration directory is '/home/user/linuxcnc/configs/sim.axis'
Machine configuration file is 'axis.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...

Splash screen is displayed, machine freezes. Nothing in the other desk tops.

Sometimes I can mouse to other features, but response is slow, if at all. Task manager reports (among other threads)
io -int /home/user/linuxcnc/configssim.axis/axis.ini #PID 4343, RSS 1216 KIB, CPU 0%
linuxcnc #PID 3879, RSS 13 MiB, CPU 0%
linuxcncsvr -ini /home/user/linuxcnc/configs/sim.axis/axis.ini #PID 3881, RSS 4 MiB, CPU 0%

It seems to be waiting for something to happen, but it never does. After many, many installs I can say that 2.4 and 2.5 work., 2.6 loads but doesn't work, 2.7 doesn't load. I am now convinced that it is hardware that is the problem. I ordered a refurb win7 era machine to replace it. I might have been able to get some kind of work around from the Ubuntu people, but it is a tired old machine that has already seen repairs. Tomorrow I suspect that things will resolve. It is hard to support every chip set, and the older they get, the more likely there will be problems. I should be happy that I got around 5 years out of a computer from the dump.

More
02 Nov 2016 17:34 - 02 Nov 2016 17:35 #82354 by Todd Zuercher
Could you try opening Linuxcnc on your 2.6 install with a different user interface? I wonder if it is an openGL problem, (Try TKemc). If that opens fine, then the problem is with the graphics adapter, and or the driver you are using it with.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 17:35 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds