Dual Boot Wheezy?

More
09 Nov 2016 22:20 #82631 by CFLBob
Dual Boot Wheezy? was created by CFLBob
Hi,

I've downloaded the .iso file from linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html and decided to install it on an old Windows 7 box I have, only I'd like to make it dual boot, "just in case". I can't seem to find a dual boot option or way to set that up.

I stopped the installation, ran Partition Wizard under Windows and split the HD basically in half; one for each OS. Even with two partitions there, and loading the Grub loader, it doesn't seem to want to allow it.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2016 08:46 #82640 by lincamx
Replied by lincamx on topic Dual Boot Wheezy?
It will find the window partition at the end of the install and add it to Grud automatically.
If you let it setup the partitions for linux automatically, make sure it is going to use the one partition that you craved out for it.
when it is finished and you reboot , If you get a black screen or screen that is not working, you can add nomodeset to the kernel line in the grub boot menu. that may get you up and running.

More
10 Nov 2016 16:10 #82666 by CFLBob
Replied by CFLBob on topic Dual Boot Wheezy?
I never got that far because there's not a word that tells you it's going to happen. From what the screens say, I thought it was going to completely wipe out my Windows partition.

More
10 Nov 2016 18:26 #82681 by lincamx
Replied by lincamx on topic Dual Boot Wheezy?
It will if you let it partition and setup linux on the windows partition, just be careful at the partition screen and make sure you understand what it is going to do to the partitions.

More
10 Nov 2016 18:35 #82682 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Dual Boot Wheezy?
IMHO Seems like a lot of trouble just to reuse part of a drive,
just get a $20 used 60G SSD (or $35 new) for LinuxCNC
only and be done with it

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds