Video resolution problem

More
20 Nov 2016 19:38 #83044 by gmouer
My video resolution comes up as 1024x768 and cannot be set any higher, the monitor supports 1680x1050 60hz and some lower resolutions also. I am using wheezy installed off the latest livecd. I am not very proficient at linux but did extensive searching which at least allowed me to confirm my hardware/software.

Computer: Lenovo M58p (7479a6u)
Opsystem Wheezy from latest live cd (all updates done)
Onboard video Intel GMA4500
LSPCI shows 00:02:.1 Displaycontroler: Intel Corp 4 series chipset integrated graphics controller (Rev03)
Driver installed is xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.2.19.0-6
Display settings only lists 1024x768 and lower

Any ideas what I need to do to use higher resolutions that the monitor and graphics chip supports? Its a 22 inch monitor I bought because I hope to use NativeCam and the bigger screen would be very desireable.

Thanks!
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2016 05:52 #83052 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Video resolution problem
That is strange, as i have 2 pc with similar setups and none behaved like you describe.
Open a terminal and type "xrandr" and see if that shows the resolutions you need.
Another possibility, use a different cable, preferably DVI. I have one monitor with a messed up cable that does exactly that, but only under ubuntu 10.04.

More
21 Nov 2016 09:54 #83058 by gmouer
Replied by gmouer on topic Video resolution problem
I looked at xrandr before and it shows 1024 also as the highest resolution. In my searching I found another setup gui arandr I believe its called, same results. I don't have a DVI cable but did have 2 different VGA cables on the setup with no difference.

I read a procedure to add resolutions using xrandr along with modifying xorg.conf. I do not have a xorg.conf file in the X11 folder as shown in the instructions and the procedure was not clear to me. I think I may have had some syntax errors when I experimented.

More
21 Nov 2016 13:17 #83069 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Video resolution problem
I had this problem with a board using a troublesome Intel chipset. I solved it with a custom xorg.conf file.

By default you won't have such a file, but you can create one with a text editor.

First make sure that you can ssh into the machine from somewhere else, you may need to delete the file in a situation where the machine has no working video.

I think I copied the values here: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1270209

I ought to be able to find my actual Xorg.conf file when I get home.

More
21 Nov 2016 14:25 - 21 Nov 2016 14:29 #83074 by gmouer
That would be great Andy !

I can create the file and enter the code from the link but will hold off a bit to see if you locate your actual code.

I have no idea how to ssh into a machine, or even what you are talking about there but I do have the ability to pull the hard disk and connect it to another linux box using a usb adapter if things get ugly.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2016 14:29 by gmouer.

More
22 Nov 2016 17:31 #83136 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Video resolution problem
Here is all of my xorg.conf file.
You probably don't need the section for calibrating the touchscreen.
Section "InputClass"
	Identifier	"calibration"
	MatchProduct	"eGalax Inc. Touch"
	Option	"Calibration"	"1565 265 259 1590"
	Option	"SwapAxes"	"1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync       30-80
    VertRefresh     60-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes     "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection

More
22 Nov 2016 17:49 #83140 by GeneRF
Replied by GeneRF on topic Video resolution problem
Might be a long shot, but I recently had a similar problem. Turns out that the VGA cable was the issue. In order to get resolution higher than 1024 x 768 a fully populated VGA cable is needed. All 15 pins should be connected. A lot of low-end cables skip a few pins.

Gene

More
24 Nov 2016 03:04 #83208 by gmouer
Thanks much Andy for the info. I had read about creating and modifying xorg.conf in several posts I found during my searching on the subject. Many have had the problem of not being able to set higher resolutions and in xorg.conf is the most popular approach to the problem. That approach scared me because of its potential to affect operation of other hardware when creating the file.

I found a alternate approach in a thread which several people reported worked for them and it is less dangerous. It involves creating a Xsession file and placing it in the /etc/X11/Xsession.d folder. In that file are the xrandr command lines with newmode/addmode and output commands. The commands are executed on booting. I created the file and it works as advertised.

Here is a link to the information, about half way down the page. It may be of help to others.
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=65933

Thanks,
George

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds