Setup stops at "starting up the partitioner"

More
23 Jan 2017 14:37 #86485 by duese1990
Hi all,

before I ask my question, I will give a short introduction to myself:
My name is Helge, I’m 27 years old, I’m from germany and I have studyied mechanical engineering.

For a simple application I already use LinuxCNC without problems, but I'm not an expert.

For a new project I tried to install LinuxCNC on an old PC with a PCI to SATA extension card. This extension card is connected to a SSD, which shall be the main harddrive.
The “LinuxCNC Live mode” is working well, but when I try to install it, the installation stops at “starting up the partitioner” (see attached picture) without any message.

At start up of the PC the PCI extension cards shows the SSD data correctly.

Do I have to add driver for the PCI extension to the LinuxCNC USB drive? If yes, where I have to place them?

Is there a debug mode available while running the setup?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regads,

Helge
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2017 16:41 #86489 by cncnoob1979
I would assume this is the live-cd installer for wheezy distribution?
Are you installing via a usb stick or have you set up a dvd/cd?

Have you tried this setup on another Linux distribution computer successfully? You could try to install windows or something similar to see if the hardware functions there.

The reason I'm asking is because if you need a driver to use the converter then another distribution might be in order. You can eliminate the hardware as an issue if you can get this to work in another computer, preferably newer. At least you would know more than you do now about how it functions.

As far as the debug mode Im not sure. Did you look at the command line options prior to startup to see?
you can try reading this troubleshooting article perhaps it can help you out?

www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s04.html

More
23 Jan 2017 23:30 #86525 by tommylight
When you start the computer you get the normal BIOS screen, after that there has to be another screen regarding the SATA controler.
There is usualy a Ctrl+i or similar to enter the setup for the controler, ther should be the option to set up as a single drive or as a RAID drive made out of multiple hdd's. It will warn you that all data will be lost bla bla bla.
Only after that you can use the disk as usual.

More
24 Jan 2017 02:22 #86531 by rodw
I'd check all the bios settings carefully.

If the config is failing when partitioning, maybe there is a corrupt disk. Can you install another Linux distro on this machine? That might let you partition the format in a Unix friendly way before you revert to the live CD

More
24 Jan 2017 12:03 #86549 by duese1990
Yes, first I tried the Wheezy distribution.

Yesterday I have installed LinuxMint 18.1 successful, without hardware or setup changes, but I got graphic errors in the GUI.

Then I placed the PC near to the router to connect it by cable to the internet, installed LinuxMint 17.3 and it works fine!

I will try to install the RTAI and LinuxCNC later like described by "BigJohnT".

So, the "problem of the topic" seems to be a wheezy problem.

Everything is fine, when the RTAI and LinuxCNC installation will be successful. I will keep you informed :)

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds