New install of LinuxCNC 2.7-wheezy.ISO not working

More
29 Jan 2017 00:31 #86867 by toolmaker
I downloaded 2.7 wheezy.iso with ZSYNC on Mint Linux. The download was perfect and checksum was perfect. I made an install disk and ran LinuxCNC from the disk. It worked great from the disk.

I then erased my hard drive to make a clean install. The CD installed with no problems. When I rebooted my computer it came up with the selection box.
I selected the first option and I got error messages that went by to fast to read and then the screen was blank. The curser did move.

I ran Ubuntu 10.04 with LinuxCNC on this computer and it ran fine.
Is there something I can do to get this running?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2017 00:43 #86868 by cncnoob1979
I would suggest another install to see if you can reproduce the error. Thinking you may have a graphics issue from your brief description. Do you have multiple video cards installed or using the on board graphics?

More
29 Jan 2017 00:54 #86871 by tommylight
Wee need more information. Take some pictures of the screen or a video and post it here.

More
29 Jan 2017 17:35 #86917 by toolmaker
I was thinking about this last night and I believe the problem is the drivers for my video card.
There is a ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 video board in there.
When I formatted the hard drive to make a clean install I'm sure it wiped out the drivers.
I built this computer many years ago and I have all the drivers on disks. The problem is that the drivers need to be installed under windows.
There is nothing to record on the screen it is black.
The question is are there drivers for this board in Linux? Can I install them with no video?
Thanks

More
29 Jan 2017 19:06 #86920 by toolmaker
I just put the DVD in the computer and booted it up running on the DVD only. The program works fine. I am on line and typing this now.
Are the drivers on the DVD not installing correctly to the computer or do they install different drivers when the program installs?
I could use this DVD to download drivers to the PC or change setting in the LinuxCNC.
Thanks

More
29 Jan 2017 19:21 #86922 by cncnoob1979
Sometimes the install detection is wrong. Then you get a blank screen when installed. That is why I suggested another install to see if it detects it correctly for you this time. I would ensure I disabled the onboard video if using an external video card.

If you do get another blank video then boot into the live cd as you are now and research your video chipset and how to fix video errors for Wheezy Linux distribution.

If you do not have any configuration or time involved in your current setup it literally takes 30 mins or so, well worth a try in my opinion.

You can see what drivers are in use in the live cd by issuing this command in a terminal:
lsmod

Among many others which you can research while trying to figure it out. Perhaps another here with that chipset can help you troubleshoot it.

More
29 Jan 2017 21:01 #86929 by toolmaker
I did as you said and installed it again. I am getting a little different result. After the GRUB comes up and I select the operation I want it prints out error codes instead of blank screen.
This is the error code.
[.979574] kernel panic-not syncing : exit code = 0x00000007

I will try your ismod to find the drivers but I now think there is more than just driver problems.

More
29 Jan 2017 21:22 #86930 by cncnoob1979
Have you tried the fallback mode of the kernel under grub menu advance options?

Might let you get into it.

Did you check you bios settings and disable all power saving stuff, ect?

More
30 Jan 2017 01:41 - 30 Jan 2017 01:45 #86937 by lincamx
when you get to the boot menu select "e" for edit and in the line linux/boot/.....put ( nomodeset ) in the kernel line , that should get you going on the blank screen.
to make it permanent, once you are up, go to you file system , go to folder BOOT and look for grub config file .
open as admin and edit the kernel line , add- (nomodeset), save and you should be good to go.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 01:45 by lincamx.

More
30 Jan 2017 05:10 #86944 by toolmaker
I tried the edit the boot but there isn't a line like " Linux/boot/". I turned off the power settings in the Bios and reloaded the program. it did make less errors when the program is run.
What it is doing now is when you are in the grub and click on the program button it runs through the grub and prints out on the screen "Loading initial ramdisk". It then prints out "couldn't read the file" and goes into error modes.
This is better than before but a long way from installed correctly.

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds