Questions about the linuxcnc installation procedure under Gentoo

More
30 Jan 2017 19:38 #86995 by Petros S
Hello to everyone. I am new at the forum and I am writing a linuxcnc ebuild (package to install from sources) for the Gentoo community. Although I have managed to successfully handle the configuration and compilation procedure in the ebuild, I have trouble to figure out what I am missing on the installation.

The error I get when I try to run linuxcnc as a normal user is this:
LINUXCNC - 2.7.8
pickconfig: cannot find expected start_node </usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/sim/axis/axis.ini>, continuing

Then nothing is shown. Using find, I figured out that I have a /usr/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples/sample-configs/sim/axis/axis.ini.bz2 fil
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2017 19:40 #86996 by Petros S
I made a mistake: Actually a window is loaded, from which I have to choose an example to run. After selecting one, this error comes up:

(gladevcp:6541): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file './glade-manual.ui'
**** GLADE VCP ERROR: With xml file: ./glade-manual.ui : could not create GladeXML object
Note: Using POSIX non-realtime

I think I am missing something beyond just a faulty install

More
30 Jan 2017 22:25 - 30 Jan 2017 22:26 #87011 by cncnoob1979
Looks like you have a dependency problem or a path issue. Have you looked at the paths from an installed linuxcnc system vs what you are trying to do?
echo $PATH
Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 22:26 by cncnoob1979.

More
31 Jan 2017 12:48 #87057 by andypugh

Note: Using POSIX non-realtime

Is there a way to get a realtime kernel into your ebuild? Because this line indicates that you are not using one.

More
31 Jan 2017 13:40 #87060 by Petros S
Thank you both for answering.
echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.8.2:/usr/lib64/opencascade-6.7.0/ros/lin/bin:/usr/lib64/subversion/bin:/usr/games/bin:/usr/brlcad/bin:/home/home/petros/bin:/home/home/petros/bin:/opt/oracle-jdk-bin-1.8.0.25/bin/

I think that there is a path-related problem. Should the removal of
ldconfig
is the root of the problem?

Yes, there is an option to use a realtime kernel, but I though that using it as a simulator only doesn't require to use such a kernel. Besides I have to give the users the option to choose not to install such a kernel if that's possible.

Once again thank you very much and please do tell me if you need further information. Have a nice day.

More
31 Jan 2017 13:42 #87061 by Petros S
Forgot to mention, no I have not a system with Linuxcnc installed so that I can check the differences.

More
31 Jan 2017 18:26 - 31 Jan 2017 18:35 #87081 by cncnoob1979
A good way to check is to simply run the live cd that is available to download. Its a Wheezy distro but you can look at the paths in the system to work backwards.

This could help you figure out what's missing. Or run it in a VM side by side with your ebuild setup. Basically debugging your paths and dependencies. I would think this is the best way.

I'm not sure how linuxcnc dependencies are linked or if ldconfig, is pointing them to their locations or not. It would not hurt to implement it back into your ebuild however. I would assume adding ldconfig could only help unless you have a particular reason to remove it.

EDIT: Does your distro have ldconfig as part of the sytem? or did you just disable it as part of trying to speed things along? If it is still part of the sytem you can just run ldconfig as su to scan for shared libraries.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2017 18:35 by cncnoob1979.

More
31 Jan 2017 19:06 #87091 by Petros S

I'm not sure how linuxcnc dependencies are linked or if ldconfig, is pointing them to their locations or not. It would not hurt to implement it back into your ebuild however. I would assume adding ldconfig could only help unless you have a particular reason to remove it.

EDIT: Does your distro have ldconfig as part of the sytem? or did you just disable it as part of trying to speed things along? If it is still part of the sytem you can just run ldconfig as su to scan for shared libraries.

I had to remove ldconfig, because portage's sandbox didn't gave it permision to function, throwing an error. I could bypass this security mechanism, but I really mustn't - at least if linuxcnc is to become at last an official gentoo package.

And yes, ldconfig is ran at every startup or if the user requests it via
env-update
and the removal has nothing to do with speeding up the process - there wasn't any "process" and installation with it.

Last, I will follow your advise about the iso. It seems to be the most safe and legit way to find out. Thanks :)

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds