Over 1000000 Latency

More
09 Feb 2017 22:05 #87711 by Corporall Clegg
I installed linuxcnc from the live install on an older laptop that has a parallel port with a Pentium M processor. I have tried updated and non updated installs disabled and enabled everything on the mobo to the best of my knowledge (Including the network card and usb ports) I have yet to see a latency test under one million ms I made the mistake of buying a CNC machine from Xzero after I was told I could use an old PC or laptop and linuxcnc to drive it and I am now realizing that taking the advice of using this program was a mistake. I have no linux experience and no other PC options or the money to purchase one being it is all tied up in the machine and Aspire.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:15 #87714 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Over 1000000 Latency
If you do not need the Joint-axis feature used for gantry machines with separate motors and drives on the same axis, just use an older version of Linuxcnc iso.
I would recomend Ubuntu 10.04 as i had it and still have in some laptops. On a IBM T42 with ubuntu latency would never go above 15000 after disabling serial and infrared and other bios setings. The same laptop with Linux Mint 18.1 and Linuxcnc 2.8 gives me over 2000000 latency, so unusable.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:34 #87717 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Over 1000000 Latency
Laptops are not suggested hosts for LinuxCNC for this very reason
They often have power management hardware/firmware that can not be disabled
and interferes with real time performance.

For a low cost LinuxCNC host computer, you are much better off with an old desktop
than an old laptop

More
09 Feb 2017 22:38 #87718 by Corporall Clegg
Thanks for your quick response it slowed the whisky intake per-min-ratio to one shot instead of two.

Is my noob showing? I have no idea what the joint axis feature is so please forgive me. The machine I am waiting on is a 3 axis gantry router with the driver to support 4 axis. When you say Ubuntu 10.04 is that a live install version or just the Linux opsys and if so is it on the Linuxcnc page? Once I get it should I update it or leave it as it comes, should I disable everything in bios including the NIC and USB ( I would rather not use the touchpad if possible).

Thanks for helping me in my shameful state of complete ignorance.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:41 #87720 by Corporall Clegg
I wish the vendor I bought the CNC router from would have mentioned that. Any links for said desktop would be appreciated.

Thanks

More
09 Feb 2017 22:55 #87722 by Corporall Clegg
I guess the Ubuntu 10.04&LinuxCNC Live CD is gone the links on the Linuxcnc.org site are dead.

More
09 Feb 2017 23:06 #87727 by Corporall Clegg
Found this link for older versions

linuxcnc.org/iso/

I will give it a try.

More
10 Feb 2017 02:03 #87737 by Corporall Clegg

If you do not need the Joint-axis feature used for gantry machines with separate motors and drives on the same axis, just use an older version of Linuxcnc iso.
I would recomend Ubuntu 10.04 as i had it and still have in some laptops. On a IBM T42 with ubuntu latency would never go above 15000 after disabling serial and infrared and other bios setings. The same laptop with Linux Mint 18.1 and Linuxcnc 2.8 gives me over 2000000 latency, so unusable.

Installed 10.4 9 Aug 2012 from here linuxcnc.org/iso/ I had to use this tutorial www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ubuntu-10-...reen-at-startup.html so I could actually see the install and get it to work although the method I used was just the terminal menu at the install prompt. I am running glxgears and watching Pink Floyd pulse on you tube at the same time my Max Jitter has not gone above 17329 B)

2 questions, How long should I run this test and what is this Joint-axis feature you speak of, will I miss it on my cnc router?

Thank you for your help

More
10 Feb 2017 03:17 #87742 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Over 1000000 Latency

what is this Joint-axis feature you speak of, will I miss it on my cnc router?

You may miss it if your gantry is running two stepper motors, 1 each side of your gantry.

Joint-axis (or JA) includes features to jointly home each side as one. Once the gantry hits the first homing switch, that side stops but the other side continues to move until it hits its homing switch. After that, each side is homed based on offsets in the ini file for each side so that it is easy to square the gantry(just by changing the offsets).

The JA code has been added to the current master development branch and is not included in the current stable (Ver 2.7) distribution.

More
10 Feb 2017 05:27 #87744 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Over 1000000 Latency

2 questions, How long should I run this test and what is this Joint-axis feature you speak of, will I miss it on my cnc router?

You should run it for at least an hour with as much load as possible, while watching youtube switch between full screen and windowed, run some glxgears, close and open programs, especialy firefox and inkscape as they tend to use a lot of procesing power at startup and they are single threaded so use only one processor to the max, play a full HD or 4HD video with media player as it uses all the processors.
Regards,
Tom

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds