A "hello" and a Live-CD question

More
30 Jun 2010 18:06 - 30 Jun 2010 18:09 #3253 by DavidB
Hi everyone,

I have been a member for about an hour now and thought I would say hi to everyone. So...Hi!

I have owned a 1981 Enshu Accu-Mill for 5 or 6 years now and I really love the machine (see picture attached below). It is heavy duty and well constructed. However, I was disappointed when I bought it because the Fanuc 3M controller could only do 2.5D milling.

A few months ago I decided it was time to upgrade so I began building a new controller (see picture below). I am at the point now where I am ready to install EMC2 and connect the controller to the machine. As a new EMC user I am sure you will hear more from me but I am hoping it all runs smoothly. Of course, I do already have a question (albeit a simple one).

I have used the Live CD with Ubuntu 8.04 and EMC 2.3 and love the program. However, as I was about to install it, version 2.4 was released. In addition, I also discovered that a new servo setup wizard is being developed with it. I'd really like to use the 2.4 version and I was hoping that the new Live CD would be available soon. Is there an anticipated release date for this Live-CD version?

Thanks so much for your help and thank you to those who develop and maintain this program. It felt like Christmas when I discovered it was free.

Thanks!

David B.

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jun 2010 18:09 by DavidB. Reason: Adding Pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2010 18:11 #3254 by DavidB
It looks like I posted the same pic twice. Here is the machine.
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2010 21:26 #3256 by BigJohnT
Hi Dave,

And welcome to the forum.

There is no release date for Ubuntu 10.04 or 8.04 with EMC2.4 at this time. However you can install the Ubuntu 8.04 with 2.3 and change a line in the synaptic package manager and get 2.4.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?UpdatingTo2.4

John

More
01 Jul 2010 23:03 #3263 by DavidB
Hi John,

Thank you.

I tried this upgrade a few weeks ago and EMC2 crashed on me. I then reverted to 2.3.5 but it still crashed. I probably did something wrong.

I will try a fresh install of EMC 2.3.5 and then retry the upgrade.

Thank you!

David

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds