Migrating Config from 2.5 to 2.7

More
25 Jun 2017 07:07 - 25 Jun 2017 07:13 #94909 by kurta
Under linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/updating-linuxcnc.html the instructions are:
If you use the Parallel Port driver there are some changes. Older versions of the LinuxCNC hal_parport driver conflicted with the Linux parport_pc driver. This required two mitigation techniques, prevent parport_pc from loading, and load another LinuxCNC driver called probe_parport before loading hal_parport.

The LinuxCNC hal_parport driver now cooperates well with the Linux parport_pc driver, and these mitigation techniques are no longer needed or useful. In 2.7, the probe_parport driver has been removed from LinuxCNC.

This means configs that use the parallel port may need to be updated in the following ways:

Make sure LinuxCNC does not prevent the Linux parport_pc driver from loading. Older versions of LinuxCNC would blacklist parport_pc in /etc/modprobe.d/linuxcnc.conf (or /etc/modprobe.d/emc2.conf for even older versions of LinuxCNC). Comment out any lines in either of those files that looks like this: 
install parport_pc /bin/true

Make sure your Hal configuration does not have loadrt probe_parport in any .hal file.

I grepped for "port" in all the config files with these results:
grep -r port .
./my-mill.hal:loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out"
./my-mill.hal:addf parport.0.read base-thread
./my-mill.hal:addf parport.0.write base-thread
./my-mill.hal:net xstep           => parport.0.pin-01-out
./my-mill.hal:net xenable         => parport.0.pin-02-out
./my-mill.hal:net ydir            => parport.0.pin-03-out
./my-mill.hal:net zdir            => parport.0.pin-04-out
./my-mill.hal:net zstep           => parport.0.pin-05-out
./my-mill.hal:net xenable         => parport.0.pin-06-out
./my-mill.hal:net xdir            => parport.0.pin-07-out
./my-mill.hal:net ystep           => parport.0.pin-08-out
./my-mill.hal:net spindle-cw      => parport.0.pin-09-out
./my-mill.hal:net xenable         => parport.0.pin-14-out
./my-mill.hal:net xenable         => parport.0.pin-16-out
./my-mill.hal:net xenable         => parport.0.pin-17-out

The initial line doesn't quite match what's called out in the instructions - but is suspiciously close. Kill it?

At present, the configuration seems to be working - except that the drive appears to be about 100 times slower than it used to be. Ramping speeds up and down take several seconds (instead of tenths of seconds) and top speeds are almost standing still compared to what they used to be.

Insights? Suggestions?
Last edit: 25 Jun 2017 07:13 by kurta. Reason: Styling - Had javascript turned off and couldn't do code/bold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2017 07:55 #94957 by tommylight
Make sure you have the scale set correctly, ramping up and down can be changed by changing acceleration in the ini file for each axis separately.
From 2.5 to 2.7 the only thing to change is remove or comment out the "probe_pataport" line.
Everything else works without any change.

More
27 Jun 2017 12:05 #95031 by andypugh

grep -r port .
./my-mill.hal:loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out"

The initial line doesn't quite match what's called out in the instructions - but is suspiciously close. Kill it?

Definitely not. That is the line that loads the parport driver, if you delete that then you will have no driver at all.

What did you change when updating? Are you using the original config, or did you create a new one?

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds