total rebuild after theft

More
15 Aug 2017 17:52 #97528 by 7sticks
I am having to totally rebuild my pc after someone broke in and stole the pc from my CNC router. Apparently they didn't realize what the machine was and just took the pc and all my thumbdrives, external drives and discs.
I built this thing on EMC2 with Ubuntu 10.?? and all my backups were on the external drive and 2 of the thumbdrives.
It has worked so well I haven't had to tweak anything for many years now. All of the memories of getting it configured are gone with hundreds if not thousands of toolpaths stored on it.
I have built a new pc and have the LinuxCNC 2.7.11 up and running. Now I'm struggling to remember how to configure everything.

Here's my setup:
4 KL4030 drive
4 KL23H286-20-8B steppers
C10 Break out
Gantry with Rack & Pinion on XLeft and XRight, Rack & Pinion on Y
Z axis is lead screw

I can't remember how I set up the two R&P for X. I have them labeled on the drives as XR and XL
Can somebody get me rolling again. I have read all the documents and they are clear as mud.

I'm thinking an example config might jog my memory.
I've run the latency test

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2017 18:24 #97529 by 7sticks
Replied by 7sticks on topic total rebuild after theft
I just found my original info on a post I made 6 years ago.
It has my hal file and my configuration.

I'm trying to apply that to my new install

any advice?

is it possible to convert the old hal file to the new version?

More
17 Aug 2017 02:00 #97605 by Todd Zuercher
Yes it is possible to convert the old files to the latest current version. It is best to check the upgrade information in the documentation for each version between the one you used and the current one for the applicable necessary changes to your files.

If you really want to run the old versions, it is also possible to download the old Linuxcnc and EMC2 iso files from here.
linuxcnc.org/iso/

More
17 Aug 2017 14:50 #97634 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic total rebuild after theft
Firstly, you probably want to go back to the same LinuxCNC version as you had before and get the machine back up and running with the known-good config files and the OS that it is known to work with.

But, for a router, you should then upgrade to 2.7 (You can do this just updating LinuxCNC, no need to update the OS if you prefer not to) because the trajectory planner was much improved for fast profiling work.

For a gantry you might consider the development 2.8 version, which is better for gantries, but is a _development_ version and occasionally gets broken, and has known and unknown bugs.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds