Install help, linuxcnc 2.7 wheezy, not loading

More
02 Sep 2017 14:53 - 02 Sep 2017 14:56 #98375 by robertspark
Hello, in need of a little help of where to start to identify the problem.

Loaded linuxcnc 2.7 wheezy iso from bootable usb stick, and installed it with what appears to be no problems, pc restarts, goes through startup process and then ends with a blinking cursor..... no further action..... I can shut down with ctl+alt+del and it will restart but just hang in the same place.

The PC is one of the mini-PC's (fanless) using the intel celeron N3150, onboard wifi, & dual NIC, usb peripherals, dual HDMI and a VGA port (note: I'm using one of the HDMI for my monitor which has a HDMI>DIV cable).
www.qotom.net/goods-130-Q150S++Q150P+Mini+PC.html

during the install I installed the "missing" wifi + nic drivers, no other peripherals were asked for.

I tried disabling the wifi from the bios as I'm using one of the dual nic ports hard wired to my broadband router, but it is not possilbe to disabled the wifi in the bios [thought it would make for an easier install]

during the install process it said that it found and configured the network connection.

Any suggestions?

(hoping to get to use a MESA 7176e eventually ..... that's the plan)

Any suggestions of good books on linux / python with regards to linuxcnc and getting my head around HAL etc [note this is early days for me and linux] would be great too.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Note, I have reinstalled the ISO twice, once without the requested wifi and nic drivers and the second time I downloaded them off the net and installed them when asked for as I thought that may have been the hicup, but it stops and hangs with a blinking cursor in the same place every time.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2017 14:56 by robertspark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2017 15:46 #98378 by PCW
Its very likely the Wheezy ISO/kernel are too old for a N3150
I would try the Stretch test ISO:

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...-uspace-amd64-r8.iso

This already has the uspace version of LinuxCNC and recent Preempt-RT kernel
that are required by the 7I76E
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
02 Sep 2017 17:25 #98381 by robertspark
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go

I presume I need to use the i386 version with an intel processor (intel celeron N3150), and not the amd64 version?

[or do i need the amd version as the N3150 is 64 bit?]

Thanks again

More
02 Sep 2017 17:32 #98382 by robertspark
..... think I figured it out.... use the AMD64 with a 64 bit processor

www.debian.org/ports/amd64/

More
02 Sep 2017 19:34 #98386 by robertspark
Thanks PCW, that worked, install was much quicker.... maybe my error was using the 32bit version and not the 64bit version whicxh I am now running. All seems to be working.

I await the arrival of the 7176E + THCAD10 to play a little more

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds