LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 3

More
24 Sep 2017 22:43 #99390 by Marcodi
Hi,

I know this is not going to be an easy one so it seems. But let me explain.

I want to get to know linuxCNC badly, i have several projects i am working on and i need a new controller.

The only thing i have here laying around with printerport on it is a raspberry Pi3. Secondly it would be super handy if i can use this to learn how to work with this and create postprocessors. As i can easily take everything with me.

I have been following the guidelines found here wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RaspbianXenomaiBuild . But one issue. The file to patch rpi-3.2-27-Xenomai.patch is nowhere to be found anymore. So i can not really follow this guide. Also it dates back to 2012.

I have seen several YouTube videos making linuxCNC work on a Pi, so i guess it is possible and that the necessary info needs to be out here somewhere.

Can someone please help me on my way? Sad that LinuxCNC hasn't a standard distro that could be used on a Pi, the amount of people having it are enormous.

(Reason i really need LinuxCNC and not something else to control the motors is that i am using this as a scale model behind my desk at home to create suitable postprocessor for my machine and a robotarm, which i bought on a bankrupcy. The controller is broken there, i want to replace it by LinuxCNC, i bought a micro robotarm with 6 servo's in china to use that as a suitable replacement to develop postprocessor for it on linuxCNC ) ( don't get me started on posts, cause that is a long way to go aswell, but starting to get it)
My current machine is working on mach3, but i am not happy with the motion, i want to refit this to LinuxCNC aswell, hence another small scale model.

Hope i can find a solution to get this thing working, it is not a 2 second idea here, i have all my time and money invested in this.

Thanks in advance,
Stephane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2017 16:46 #99823 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 3
You can try getting Raspbian with the Preempt-RT patch (I am not sure how) and then using the armhf build from the buildbot:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
You probably want master / 2.8 for a robot arm.

You might find Machinekit easier, but I don't think that they have the joints/axes split that makes 2.8 better for robot arms.
(And I think that Machinekit have preempt-RT kernel packages)

More
29 Nov 2017 01:44 #102463 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 3
I have a couple working PI3 linuxcnc combinations working. I used 2.8 pre , I used Frank Durr's rtprempt patch( google Frank). My set up uses a Mesa 7i90 board with SPI and a driver written by a user on the forum( search my thread compiling a driver) . I have very successfully run stepper motors on a small robotic conveyor and presently have one set up to run servos , it uses a 7i33 and as of last nite as reading encoders.
I have notes on how all this was accomplished, I can turn these into instructions if it would be of help. I also had Machine kit loaded, which is a bit easier.

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds