Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.

More
14 Nov 2017 00:42 #101750 by Stephanisk
Stephanisk created the topic: Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.
Hi everyone,

I need a little help. I installed the debian stretch image and that worked perfect. I do want to use the developer version 2.8 as i have a gantry machine XYYZA and already made complete hal files for this on another computer with 2.8.

I was able after a looooonnnnggggg while to get the installation of 2.8 done following the building linuxcnc thread. I am able to run it by using ./scripts/rip-environment but i would like to have an install on my computer not only the run-in-place.

I see there is a debian section to make an install instead of a run in place. I got that to work too and followed:
> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
> cd linuxcnc-dev/debian
> ./configure uspace
> cd ..
> dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc

but than what? when i do this i still got the run-in-place but if i go to the menu and start linuxCNC i still get the 2.7.11 version. (strangely enough i yesterday did the 2.8 install on wheezy and than i did get it to replace the old 2.7 version, hell i don't know how i did it yesterday and today on stretch i can not manage)

I can honestly say i have tried pretty much everything i could come up with (with my very limited knowledge of linux) but i tried following the guide for installing linuxcnc on mint. where i found the command debuild -uc -us but when i do that it executes but doesn't change anything. Still linuxcnc 2.8 when i run ./scripts/rip-environment and start linuxcnc from terminal. But in menu remains to be 2.7.11. So i still have 2 versions of linuxcnc on my system.

I have been trying to run sudo make install but than i get the answer that my configure is with run in place and not for install. i tried to add --without-run-in-place but that is mentioned an unknown parameter and ignored by the system.

All the build dependencies i got solved so that is not an issue, all are installed.

I hope someone can give me the answer to what the correct commands are after building a debian package how to get it installed. Cause i am out of my league here. I hope i gave enough information to what the problem is. I am pretty sure it is just one extra command i need to type in the terminal, just can not find anywhere what it is.

Thanks in advance
gr,
Stephane
More
14 Nov 2017 02:50 #101754 by PCW
PCW replied the topic: Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.
AFAIK ( which in not much concerning debs ), those instructions just build the deb
but dont install it. I think you need

sudo dpkg -i ( deb_filename )
More
14 Nov 2017 02:54 #101756 by Stephanisk
Stephanisk replied the topic: Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.
Alright. Nice ... Thx..

But what would be the deb_filename? Cause when I do all these instructions, I don't see any specific name mentioned.
More
14 Nov 2017 04:29 #101758 by ozzyrob
ozzyrob replied the topic: Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.
From memory the debs should be in the directory above the build directory.........look for something like linuxcnc-somethingorother.deb
More
20 Nov 2017 16:47 #102066 by andypugh
andypugh replied the topic: Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.
You don't need to do any of that. You can just install 2.8 as a package from the buildbot.

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds