Install of linuxcnc-dev on debian stretch. Can't do install. Run-in-place works.

More
14 Nov 2017 00:42 #101750 by Marcodi
Hi everyone,

I need a little help. I installed the debian stretch image and that worked perfect. I do want to use the developer version 2.8 as i have a gantry machine XYYZA and already made complete hal files for this on another computer with 2.8.

I was able after a looooonnnnggggg while to get the installation of 2.8 done following the building linuxcnc thread. I am able to run it by using ./scripts/rip-environment but i would like to have an install on my computer not only the run-in-place.

I see there is a debian section to make an install instead of a run in place. I got that to work too and followed:
> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
> cd linuxcnc-dev/debian
> ./configure uspace
> cd ..
> dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc

but than what? when i do this i still got the run-in-place but if i go to the menu and start linuxCNC i still get the 2.7.11 version. (strangely enough i yesterday did the 2.8 install on wheezy and than i did get it to replace the old 2.7 version, hell i don't know how i did it yesterday and today on stretch i can not manage)

I can honestly say i have tried pretty much everything i could come up with (with my very limited knowledge of linux) but i tried following the guide for installing linuxcnc on mint. where i found the command debuild -uc -us but when i do that it executes but doesn't change anything. Still linuxcnc 2.8 when i run ./scripts/rip-environment and start linuxcnc from terminal. But in menu remains to be 2.7.11. So i still have 2 versions of linuxcnc on my system.

I have been trying to run sudo make install but than i get the answer that my configure is with run in place and not for install. i tried to add --without-run-in-place but that is mentioned an unknown parameter and ignored by the system.

All the build dependencies i got solved so that is not an issue, all are installed.

I hope someone can give me the answer to what the correct commands are after building a debian package how to get it installed. Cause i am out of my league here. I hope i gave enough information to what the problem is. I am pretty sure it is just one extra command i need to type in the terminal, just can not find anywhere what it is.

Thanks in advance
gr,
Stephane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2017 02:50 #101754 by PCW
AFAIK ( which in not much concerning debs ), those instructions just build the deb
but dont install it. I think you need

sudo dpkg -i ( deb_filename )

More
14 Nov 2017 02:54 #101756 by Marcodi
Alright. Nice ... Thx..

But what would be the deb_filename? Cause when I do all these instructions, I don't see any specific name mentioned.

More
14 Nov 2017 04:29 #101758 by InMyDarkestHour
From memory the debs should be in the directory above the build directory.........look for something like linuxcnc-somethingorother.deb

More
20 Nov 2017 16:47 #102066 by andypugh
You don't need to do any of that. You can just install 2.8 as a package from the buildbot.

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

More
09 Jun 2018 17:26 #112079 by bvsn125
I'm new to Raspberry pi 3 and i needed to install linuxcnc on it for milling operation. I was not able to install linuxcnc on my raspberry pi 3 . Can you please explain the procedure of installation of Linuxcnc on Raspberry pi 3.
I'm currently in ubuntu mate so will it work in ubuntu mate or do i need to install Raspbian stretch to install Linuxcnc.
Plz someone help.

More
09 Jun 2018 17:39 #112081 by Marcodi
Hi,

I gave up trying to get it to work on raspberry, I am working on normal computers with linuxcnc. Maybe someone else can help you with it, but I wouldn't get my hopes.up. I never could get it to work.

Sorry.

More
09 Jun 2018 22:57 #112096 by InMyDarkestHour
Machinekit might be a better option, based on Linuxcnc it appears to have more active development for single board computers.

Install Stretch and have a look at the following links.

www.machinekit.io/docs/getting-started/installing-packages/

www.machinekit.io/community/home/

More
31 Aug 2018 08:28 #116901 by yrsiddhapura
how i updated LCNC 2.7 to 2.8

i had also tried a lot and facing same problem its little different then wheezy in stretch

way i had done is i had used synaptic package manager -> Settings -> Repositories -> New -> and then i had divided whole link as shown in image for both binary and source and then pressed ok and then return to synaptic package manager and press' apply' and its updated packages and installed new one after that process its done.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds