Is the wheezy 2.7 build broken?

More
12 Dec 2017 02:10 - 12 Dec 2017 03:43 #102966 by DeckelHead
I've been beating myself up trying to get the current wheezy 2.7 ISO to work properly. I've tried both creating a DVD using the ISO and have followed the bootable USB (dd if=linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso of=/dev/diskX) approach, both without success. And, yes, I have validated that I have the correct MD5 (978ca074c51194e72f93e8c8d7110cfa) so I should not have corruption issues.

I am doing all of this on a Mac High Sierra OSX machine, although I have performed the dd approach using Linux too. I have created bootable versions of LinuxCNC before, but that was pretty long ago. I am finally getting back to my mill project (mothballed for 3 years) and I figure I'll start with a brand new LinuxCNC from the OS on up. That is the reason I'm not doing an upgrade to my existing machine.

When I try to create a CD, I simply right click on the downloaded ISO in Mac Finder and select "burn to disc". The result is a CD that will not boot. I am guessing the boot sector is missing.... When I try to create a bootable USB using dd, I also end up with a non-bootable device. Interestingly, the partition also seems to be very messed up, although I guess that isn't too surprising as the ending partition should be about the size of the DVD I guess. Here is the result of my dd:
Alans29z30iMac9:Downloads alan$ sudo dd if=linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso of=/dev/disk4 bs=1m
Password:
1140+1 records in
1140+1 records out
1196163072 bytes transferred in 270.495525 secs (4422118 bytes/sec)

Is the image corrupted or am I just doing something brain dead? I'm guessing the problem is most likely between the chair and the keyboard. That is usually where I find most errors! :side:
Last edit: 12 Dec 2017 03:43 by DeckelHead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2017 03:40 - 14 Dec 2017 00:04 #102969 by InMyDarkestHour
Last edit: 14 Dec 2017 00:04 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: Wasted time

More
12 Dec 2017 03:52 - 12 Dec 2017 03:55 #102971 by DeckelHead
Good questions and I should have put some additional information in there....

One thing that I found very interesting is that I can mount the ISO on my Mac or my (old) Linux (LinuxCNC) machine. So, yes, it is not a corrupted image; I agree with that.

However, when I try to read the DVD I created on my Mac, I am unable to do so; I get a "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." dialog. I have a similar experience with the USB. As soon as the dd is complete, OSX tries to mount the USB stick. I am then presented with the (near identical) message but with an additional option to Initialize the USB again.

I have written many ISO images to disk before on the Mac. They've changed the process a little, but it is fundamentally the same. Most of what I write are not bootable, but I've never had a problem like this before. One last bit of interest is that I ran into a similar problem when I tried to perform the dd from my Linux box. In that case, I copied the ISO over with my (then reformatted into a USB memory stick) to the Linux machine. From there, I went through the explicit directions presented in the "How do you make a USB..." section of the LinuxCNC download. The result was the same, namely a corrupt USB.

The USB is a brand new 16GB Kingston stick. The USB based DVD writer is also brand new.

Oh, and the MB is a 4+ year old Asus. I was able to successfully boot/install LinuxCNC onto it in the past, so unless something has radically changed with the process, I don't think that is it. But, at this point, I am flat out perplexed....
Last edit: 12 Dec 2017 03:55 by DeckelHead. Reason: added info about MB

More
12 Dec 2017 04:27 #102973 by InMyDarkestHour
Try either a 2GB or 4GB USB stick, I had the same problem when I was setting up my server trying to boot off an "old" MB with a 16GB USB stick.

If you know the exact MB you are booting from it'll help nail this issue.

More
12 Dec 2017 05:11 #102975 by DeckelHead
It is an:
Asus P8H61-MLX PLUS r2.0

I shall search for a 2 or 4gb USB. I hope I have one!

Any idea why the ISO burn to a CD would fail? That seems like it should be the bullet-proof approach. I've had issues with sticks before, but CDs always seem to work (well, they did!)

More
12 Dec 2017 05:36 #102976 by DeckelHead
I found a 2GB thumb drive and performed:

sudo dd if=linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso of=/dev/disk5 bs=1m

I get the same behavior before... When I reinsert the drive into the USB port, I get the message:

The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

I'm not having much luck here... All of this is independent of the Asus target MotherBoard, frankly. I can't even get my machines to write the disk. I have that as a plural because I've tried it on multiple machines (Linux and Macs). I am quickly coming to the conclusion that either my process is wrong or there is an issue with the build/ISO.

More
12 Dec 2017 08:15 - 14 Dec 2017 00:04 #102980 by InMyDarkestHour
Last edit: 14 Dec 2017 00:04 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: Wasted time

More
12 Dec 2017 08:24 - 14 Dec 2017 00:05 #102982 by InMyDarkestHour
Last edit: 14 Dec 2017 00:05 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: Wasted time

More
12 Dec 2017 14:38 #103000 by DeckelHead
Thanks ozzyrob. That is exactly what I was looking for (confirmation that the MD5 verified ISO is working fine. Clearly there is a problem with what I'm doing. I pretty much assumed as much, but having confirmation is worth its weight in gold.

I pulled out my T61 (running Linux, not Windoze) and I'll try that this evening when I get home from work.

Regarding errors on the dd. I don't recall what the final output is supposed to be but it doesn't have an explicit error message. This is one run I had (from a previous post here):

1140+1 records in
1140+1 records out
1196163072 bytes transferred in 270.495525 secs (4422118 bytes/sec)

More
12 Dec 2017 14:46 #103002 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Is the wheezy 2.7 build broken?
Did you do a sync before unmounting the USB drive?

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds