Thinking about making the switch from Mach 3 to Linuxcnc

More
11 Feb 2018 23:57 #105776 by dont
Thinking about making the switch from Mach 3 to Linuxcnc. My pc is a 32 bit Nobilis duo core 2.2ghz with 2gb ram and a 80gb hd. I'm run the latency test as am typing this, right now it shows max jitter servo thread at 32780 and base thread at 18548.
I used DBAN and wiped the hd. I made a bootable usb with Linuxcnc 2.7. Found a you tube that showed how to install it, don't know way I need to put 3 partitions on it but I did. So it's install, it is the only thing I have installed, I did do a update and installed lshw. I have been trying to figure out how to get a desk top icon. Also I have been looking for a GUI that is something like Mach 3.
So my question is “What's next on the list to do?” I believe I need to configure it somehow, so I've goggling that. Not much luck cause it all looks like geek to me. Here in north Iowa we have a saying DTAP (dumber then a post). That's me, I had never see linux before about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure I'll have oh about 4,020,001 more questions to ask.
Thank you
Don
base thread at 19089 now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2018 03:32 - 12 Feb 2018 03:33 #105777 by Todd Zuercher
If you kept a copy of your Mach3 configuration files. You can use the Stepconfig wizard to import many of your old settings from the Mach3 xml file.

I don't think there is a gui for Linuxcnc that looks like Mach. Use the included demo sim configs to find the gui you like best.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2018 03:33 by Todd Zuercher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds