What kit for new LinuxCNC pc

More
25 Feb 2018 16:08 #106495 by Gr8funTargets
Hi all
I've been running LinuxCNC for some years now and I've been clicking the "OK" button when I was nagged my version is no longer supported. My logic being - if it ain't broke.... don't fix it.
Well the (onboard) video has gone on the old PCs motherboard, hardly surprising considering it is in a damp garage year in year out.

I've fiddled around and found other newer potential PCs but all have drawbacks, so I thought I'd ask what you guys do.

Most modern PCs seem to have onboard graphics cards,... or the choice to buy a third party one at £200 plus..
Can we use onboard graphics as the documentation suggests not..... but I have up to now... :huh: ??

Next is the parallel port... newer PCs do not seem to have these.
Are the addon cards OK or do we now use USB? or an adaptor?

Any advice greatly received

Cheers
Danro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2018 18:00 #106503 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic What kit for new LinuxCNC pc
Onboard video is usually not a problem
Add-on PCI or PCIE parallel port cards are typically OK and there are modern motherboards with onboard parallel ports
USB--> parallel adapters wont work for motion control
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gr8funTargets

More
26 Feb 2018 08:01 #106527 by Gr8funTargets
Thank you PCW.
You confirmed my suspicions.
As it happens if found a Dell SFF pc with on board parallel and video, under my bench, just after posting.So I'll give that a go.
ATB

More
26 Feb 2018 12:22 - 26 Feb 2018 12:24 #106531 by Desertboy
I have just bought for £100
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5I25-Superport-FPGA-b...p2057872.m2749.l2649

Which will plug into your existing PP BOB (Replaces a parallel port) and it does pulse generation on board for stepping (This almost eliminates latency issues) so almost any pc with a pci slot can be used if less than 15 years old. No need to think about GPU has good upgrade paths if needed later.

You can later upgrade the breakout board (Mesa do a whole range) for better speeds, more inputs, etc but this works with your existing setup and will give good performance and no need to rewire the BOB.

I really didn't want to rewire the bob now I have everything working lol.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2018 12:24 by Desertboy.

More
27 Feb 2018 03:04 #106599 by JohnnyCNC
I got one of these: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135393&nm_mc
It was $56. memory for it was $35. I also used a Mesa 6i25 + 7i76. I looked at all of the old PC I had access to and they either had very bad latency or the capacitors were starting to bulge. This was all cheep enough and with the Mesa the latency wasn't so critical. Mine was a new conversion.

John

More
27 Feb 2018 19:06 #106647 by Oliver Sedlacek
I've built a lot of PCs using Mini-ITX motherboards as they are big enough to have useful processing grunt but small enough to tuck into a corner somewhere. Many of them still have parallel ports, and I've run Ubuntu on all of them.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds