Live Boot

More
14 Mar 2018 11:58 #107344 by jensor
Live Boot was created by jensor
I am already running linuxcnc on a bridgeport mill.
I thought it would be much more convenient if i could run the "Live" version on my Dell laptop so I could write and trouble shoot Gcode.
So down loaded the latest version, burnt the iso file to a DVD and then rebooted the Dell.
It gave me the options:
Win 7
Debian GNU/Linux- continue with install process
Naively I selected continue with install process, Get to a screen choose language and realize I may going down the wrong path.
I select abort and get msg if I abort now pc may be left in an unstable state.
How do I restore it to original at this point?
Why didn't I get an option to "Boot Live"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2018 12:46 #107345 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Live Boot
You if you only got to the language screen, you did not actually write anything to your harddrive. So rebooting without the install disk in should return every thing to normal. In fact you can go all the way to the disk partitioning screen before any damage can be done. Nothing is written to the HD until you start partioning/formatting the drive(s).

Not sure why it wouldn't go the screen where you can choose to boot the live iso rather than install. Probably some protection setting in the laptop's BIOS (UEFI) to prevent someone from booting from removable media and trying to hack into a "secured" Windows partition.

More
14 Mar 2018 13:19 #107346 by jensor
Replied by jensor on topic Live Boot
Thanks so much for your help. I was able to reboot and discovered on startup I momentarily get a screen that offers hit F12 for boot options.
Upon selecting boot on CD I get there ok.
I am now offered the choice:
Live (3.4-9-rtai-686pae)
or
Live (3.4-9-rtai-686pae failsafe)

I need to know which I should select and why. What does one do different than the other?

More
14 Mar 2018 13:36 #107347 by Todd Zuercher
I would choose the ordinary Live (3.4-9-rtai-686pae) if it works for you. I believe the Live (3.4-9-rtai-686pae failsafe) is more analogous to booting in "Safe Mode" in Windows. It is there to help if your system won't boot in the normal mode.

More
14 Mar 2018 16:13 #107351 by jensor
Replied by jensor on topic Live Boot
Okay now that I'm up with "Live" Axis and running, I find that Gedit isn't there. I downloaded gedit-3.8.0-tar.xz and tried to open it with synaptic package manager and get error no such file or directory.
My goal is to write gcode and troubleshoot it via the Live CD. Is this possible? Am I wasting my time?

More
14 Mar 2018 20:15 #107356 by Todd Zuercher
No Gedit, isn't included with the current Linuxcnc live images. It is a part of the Gnome desktop. When they switched to XFCE desktop environment, it was lost. You can install it, but it requires a boatload of Gnome dependencies to install and use. The basic text editor Mousepad is installed. You can make so that Linuxcnc opens g-code with the editor of your choice by specifying it in your ini file (example change the entry in the ini from gedit to mousepad)

More
14 Mar 2018 21:08 - 14 Mar 2018 21:08 #107361 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Live Boot

You can install it, but it requires a boatload of Gnome dependencies to install and use. The basic text editor Mousepad is installed.

He's not kidding, it basically brings in nearly a whole GUI.

If you want something better than Mousepad with no dependencies I recommend Geany. (I use that on all platforms now)

But, if you are working from a LiveCD I don't think that you can install anything.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 21:08 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds