Ubuntu 16.04.4 and LinuxCNC 2.7

More
05 Apr 2018 22:27 #108466 by dbanks
New to Linux as a whole, but I'm having a bunch of trouble with this set up. I've installed Ubuntu 16.04.4, and I've tried a range of different ways to install 2.7. LiveUSB, in terminal, LiveCD, creating a bootable USB on windows, etc. and have had success with none of them. Is there something fundamental I'm missing here? I've followed the tutorial on their website trying the options to no avail.
When I followed their tutorial here:http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html
I was able to load it into the USB and then after it was loaded, it stopped showing up in the boot menu. I've tried two USBs, running into the same issue. Any help with this would be a godsend at this point. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2018 21:28 #109770 by tommylight
Follow the tutorial for Linux mint 18.1 on this forum, works always.
Did you get to install Ubuntu 16.04 or not ?

More
28 Apr 2018 23:23 - 28 Apr 2018 23:37 #109783 by InMyDarkestHour
1. Install Mint
2. Read this forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...deb?start=420#109002
3. Ask Mr G if he still has the files available

Debian/Ubuntu/Mint usually require a initrd to boot with, that's why you get the unable to mount root filesystem error. The code to access the hardware for the disks is not built into the kernel. Installing the RT kernel via a deb will fix this issue.

4. (said tongue in cheek) Tell the boss man he bought dodgy hardware and to get something else, a lot of guys have had success with NUC.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2018 23:37 by InMyDarkestHour.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds