LinuxCNC Installation from USB troubles

More
06 Apr 2018 21:17 #108529 by dbanks
I've tried to write to the USB in every way I can think of, and that consists of: writing from terminal, using Rufus/WindowsLiveBoot/Unetbootin/W32Disk imager. I'm running into issues across the board here. Once the USB is made into a bootable drive, it no longer shows up in the boot menu options. Prior to the loading of the drive it showed right up. No matter which way I load the drive it does this. I've tried two different USB sticks. When the drive is loaded as such, on the actual OS selecting setup.exe fails. I'm at a complete loss as to why this is ending up so tedious. What else can I do?
I've got 16.04.4 (mainly because it was one that popped up on ubuntu's website). Any tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2018 23:00 #108533 by InMyDarkestHour
What has been the exact instruction you have issued at the terminal to write to USB ?

From memory many of the Windows USB writers fail with Linuxcnc.

The BIOS should be loading the USB, setup.exe has no part in the boot process with Linuxcnc.

More
09 Apr 2018 22:16 - 09 Apr 2018 22:17 #108680 by dbanks
What they have on their website in regard to instructions. Here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
From there it wouldn't show up as a bootable drive after it had been written. Tried utilizing various ISO mounters as well.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 22:17 by dbanks.

More
10 Apr 2018 06:13 #108710 by InMyDarkestHour
Are you absolutely positive you wrote the image to /dev/sdX and not /dev/sdX1 or something similar ? I spent a bit of time trying to walk someone through a "non-bootable disk" when in fact he was writing the image to /dev/sdc1 (for example) rather than /dev/sdc. The poor bloke was convinced the released image had an error.

When you said it wont show up as a bootable drive, is this via a BIOS menu or via you OS ?

The Linuxcnc iso is a what is known as a hybrid iso, some OS's have trouble reading the USB stick once it is written to. It's a pain and a bit of a trap sometimes but it is what it is.

The same maybe said of some iso mounters, I'm not up on the various windows utilities, but I usually just mount the iso via the cmdline under linux.

You haven't mentioned it but is your md5sum correct for the iso you downloaded ?

UNetbooting is known not to work for writing the Linuxcnc iso, I have had success with W32DiskImager a while ago.

You will notice that unetbootin will try to mount the iso then write files to the usb stick, from memory, this is not what you want. You need whatever utility you use to write the iso byte by byte directly to the usb stick. It will overwrite any existing filesystem and partion table on the stick. Some OS's will have trouble determining what filesystem is on the disk. Do not worry, if the md5sum of the iso is correct and there have been no errors writing the image to disk it will boot.

The best test of whether the image has been written to is trying to boot the image, what sequence of keys required to get the BIOS boot menu varies from board to board so you will have to check the requirements of your motherboard.

More
10 Apr 2018 15:11 #108748 by andypugh
All these problems are why I suggested writing the ISO to a DVD using a USB DVD reader/writer.

That appears to "just work".

More
11 Apr 2018 14:44 #108812 by dbanks
Tried that. Won't let me boot from it. Once on, all the files are visible on the Dvd though

More
11 Apr 2018 14:46 #108813 by dbanks
I tried W32diskimager as well. I mean, it directly wrote to the usb drive as instructed. I wrote the image to whatever the USB name was after checking the config.

More
11 Apr 2018 15:01 #108816 by andypugh
Have you tried every USB port?

Sounds daft, but I have one motherboard that only supports USB boot from the back-panel ports and not the front-panel ones.

And some motherboards can't boot from USB at all.

More
11 Apr 2018 21:25 #108833 by dbanks
I know it can because that's how I loaded ubuntu initially

More
11 Apr 2018 21:40 #108837 by tommylight
I have 2 HP computers that have to be switched off and power removed for a while to be able to boot from the USB.
If your computer has a separate power supply, that is what you will have to do every time you need to boot from USB.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds