Wifi PCI Card not running with basic LinuxCNC install ?

More
21 Apr 2018 10:28 #109382 by InMyDarkestHour
Yeah but I always try new parameters via the grub boot menu, if they then work I add them to grub and do the update. If they don't no harm done.

try at the terminal:
grub- then press the TAB key
this will bring up a group of commands starting with grub-

or you can try the same with update-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2018 10:43 #109384 by Lezard
Understood about the temporary vs permanent modification of Grub boot, thank you.

Now, I've added the net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 to the line as you suggested, hit the Ctrl-x to exit the editor (does this save the changes automatically ?) and let the PC boot.

lsmod shows a bunch of drivers have been loaded, but nothing that seems to pertain to the Wifi card. I can see e1000e which I believe is the driver for the RJ45 Ethernet connection, but not the rtl8192ee that I believe is needed for the Wifi card (was shown as the driver in use when I booted under Ubuntu).

lspci shows 03:00.0 Network Controller , but with no driver.

What was the net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 supposed to do ?

More
21 Apr 2018 11:09 #109385 by InMyDarkestHour
Ok looking at the rtl wifi support we have in Linuxcnc:

rtl8192c, rtl8192ce, rtl8192cu, rtl8192de, rtl8192se, rtl8180, rtl8187

At a pinch it looks like your card isn't supported.

Why you might be best off doing, and some recommend this as it has a lower impact on latency is to use a usb wirless adapter.

If you go for one of the types mention in the thread I linked to you should have no trouble.

More
21 Apr 2018 11:23 - 21 Apr 2018 13:53 #109386 by Lezard
So you're saying that this card could be supported by other Linux based system (and indeed it works with Ubuntu), but not the one (kernel ?) we use with LinuxCNC ? or simply the one in the basic ISO image ?

Can you explain "looking at the rtl wifi support we have in Linuxcnc" ?

re. using USB wireless adapter, this seems to be the way to go. For some reasons, I had imagined that the PCI card would create less latency than a USB, in fact wanted to try to disable the USB ports to see whether it improved the results of latency test.

[EDIT] I've had a look at the content of /lib/modules/3.4-9-rtai-686pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless and I see that it matches the list you gave me, so I guess I now understand what you said.
Is there no way to add another driver into this list ?
As I wrote earlier, I've tried to compile the driver for this card provided by tp-link, but the compilation fails. Is this because this _can't_ work on this system or maybe because of another unrelated cause ?

Again, I really appreciate your help and time
Last edit: 21 Apr 2018 13:53 by Lezard.

More
22 Apr 2018 03:56 - 22 Apr 2018 04:10 #109418 by InMyDarkestHour
Yeah I just had a look around what's in the driver directory.
I had a go at compiling the driver, seems to be for kernels greater than 3.16. Trying to get it to work is above and beyond my skill set.

Apparently PS2 mouse & KB ports (if they are available) are better for latency than USB.

If you have an old wifi AP or router you could connect that via ethernet and use it as a wireless bridge (if of course the router\ap supports that mode).

OK....
I have a TP-LINK WN822N USB adapter, I download the driver form TP-LINK and tried to build it, got a fail, same message as I got compiling the driver for your card.

On line 7 of the make file I changed
CONFIG_IOCTL_CFG80211=y
to
CONFIG_IOCTL_CFG80211=n

and got a successful build and install.
ie:
make modules
sudo make install

Plugged in my adapter and all is good, actually am using it right now with Linuxcnc.

Tried the same thing with the driver for your card, built and installed successfully, tho no hardware to test. Pretty sure it should work. Make sure the dir you extract it to has no spaces in it's name. No need for the kernel commandline options.

I can confirm that a usb TP-LINK TL-WN822Nv4 does work with Linuxcnc with the TP-LINK driver with the change to the make file.

Link to adapter:
www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WN822N_V4.html
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 04:10 by InMyDarkestHour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lezard

More
22 Apr 2018 09:47 - 22 Apr 2018 09:47 #109422 by Lezard
ozzyrob, you are a genius !

I followed your tip, compiled and installed the driver, rebooted, .... and it works !
I'm actually sending this message from my LinuxCNC PC, connected through the Wifi PCI Card TP-Link TL-WN881ND

So, thank you very much for your help, and all the time you have spent on this. I've made some progress on this journey thanks to the great support received here, and, cherry on the cake, problem is now solved.

May I ask how did you identify the edit of the Makefile that was required ?
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 09:47 by Lezard.

More
22 Apr 2018 10:40 #109424 by InMyDarkestHour
Must have read something in the deep dark past relating to it. Took an educated guess that was the issue. No special powers just a bit of luck.

It would appear the Linuxcnc kernel doesn't support the CFG80211 API but uses WEXT API.

Just a different way of configuring and getting statistics from a wireless device. That's my very basic understanding.

More
22 Apr 2018 16:29 #109432 by Lezard

Must have read something in the deep dark past relating to it. .... That's my very basic understanding.

And _that_ is quite an understatement, if I may say so :)

Thanks again for your help. It was not by far a do or die situation, but it's so sweet when sometimes things do work !

More
17 Jan 2019 19:47 - 17 Jan 2019 21:00 #124375 by DuckSalmon
Hi
I have the same issue
can u help me? i cannot make the file

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 17 Jan 2019 21:00 by DuckSalmon.

More
17 Aug 2020 17:49 - 19 Feb 2021 00:29 #178496 by tommylight
Spam removed and spammer banned .
Last edit: 19 Feb 2021 00:29 by tommylight.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds