Why Debian 7 and not newer? systemd?

More
26 Apr 2018 18:48 #109679 by cupakm
Hi there. I'm wondering why here linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/g...th_preempt_rt_kernel is explicitly stated to download Debian 7 and not 8 (I guess 9's also outta game... isn't it?) Because of the systemd?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2018 19:20 #109681 by Todd Zuercher
I believe that that particular section of the docs is a little out of date. It was written before Linuxcnc had precompiled versions for Debian 8 and 9 available on buildbot. I know that I have installed Debian 9 using those instructions as a rough guide and it worked fine.

More
26 Apr 2018 20:21 #109687 by cupakm
So I could grab any distro, put PREEMPT or RT kernel into it, compile linuxcnc from sources and there should be a good chance it will work, right?

More
26 Apr 2018 20:33 #109689 by Todd Zuercher
Yes, but that isn't what I was advocating. The trick to doing that is meeting all the required dependencies to build it from the source code.

It is generally much simpler to use one of distros and kernels that have precompiled versions available here.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

More
27 Apr 2018 01:50 #109693 by InMyDarkestHour

So I could grab any distro, put PREEMPT or RT kernel into it, compile linuxcnc from sources and there should be a good chance it will work, right?

Yep I've done that with Slackware (32 bit) ,and going to do it again with slackware64 and using the Linux from Scratch & Beyond Linux from Scratch docs.

I prefer the SysVinit way, nice and simple.

More
27 Apr 2018 19:40 #109728 by tommylight

Yep I've done that with Slackware (32 bit) ,and going to do it again with slackware64 and using the Linux from Scratch & Beyond Linux from Scratch docs.

I prefer the SysVinit way, nice and simple.

Yep, done it with all versions of Linux Mint, several Ubuntu flavours, and some other Linux distros.
I also agree with the sysV way, sysD put to much eggs into one basket, you drop the basket and end up with to many broken eggs.

More
27 Apr 2018 23:26 #109737 by Grotius
@Todd,

The linuxcnc aftermarket : www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

This debian 9, 64 bit strech version is the best you can get.
Change the reprository to the master version after install. You can see it on the linuxcnc buildbot site how to update to master version.

Good luck !!

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds