2.8 repo for Ubuntu 16.04

More
23 May 2018 18:20 - 23 May 2018 18:22 #111070 by deusex25
Hi guys.

Does anyone have an idea if 2.8 apt sources will be created for modern versions of Ubuntu (i.e. 16.04 and/or later)?
I have found a workaround with step-by-step of how to compile realtime kernel and install LinuxCNC on modern versions of Ubuntu, but it's not for everyone.
I'm not a profi, have tried it on a few PC's but managed to get it done only once!
There is a lot of people, who would like to switch from Mach3 to LinuxCNC, but complexity of installation keeps them away.
Would be nice to get it as an alternative installation option (same as for Ubuntu 12).
Last edit: 23 May 2018 18:22 by deusex25. Reason: Grammar correction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2018 00:56 #111073 by InMyDarkestHour
2.8 is still marked as a development version
2.7 is the stable version

Installation is fairly easy if you use the official iso.

The HOWTO for Linux Mint 18 works if you follow the directions as written (actually it is very well written, even having been a Slackware user I found it very comprehensive, never having done things "the debian way"), Mint 18.1 is based on ubuntu 16.04 (xenial). If you have any issues they will have been covered in the the thread.....it's a long one and just about every issue has been seen and resolved, except alien invasion.

Starting from a blank HDD or SDD Linuxcnc is easier and quicker than installing XP (or win2k) and then Mach3......give it go ;)

More
24 May 2018 08:02 - 24 May 2018 08:03 #111074 by deusex25
Replied by deusex25 on topic 2.8 repo for Ubuntu 16.04
Hi.

Thanks for reply. Yes, I've seen this HOWTO. It's impressive. However my point is that if this software will be pre-compiled and placed in one repo it will be even more easier for new guys.
I know, that version 2.8 is still in beta mode, that why I was asking if this version will be available (after becoming stable) in few steps:
1) add key;
2) add repo string to apt;
3) apt update;
4) apt install;

I believe you have seen Getting LinuxCNC / Alternate Install Methods 7.2. Installing on Ubuntu Precise section. Something similar for Ubuntu 16.04.4 (or Xubuntu - my favourite) is what we need!
Last edit: 24 May 2018 08:03 by deusex25. Reason: Grammar corrections.

More
24 May 2018 08:38 - 24 May 2018 09:46 #111075 by InMyDarkestHour
In all honesty the official linuxcnc iso is the best method for a beginner to get a system up & running. It has a light weight desktop (which aids latency) has everything that is needed for RTAI (software step generation) and you can install a PREEMPT kernel and version if you need that afterwards.

The Linux Mint HOWTO works for ubuntu, under the hood it's all pretty much the same.

Running
cat cat /etc/debian_version
On Mint 18.1 gives me
stretch/sid

Which is what Ubuntu 18.1 should give you.

Don't forget there are a lot of services running on a standard desktop install that you wont\don't running on a machine that is controlling a cnc machine.

You can also checkout this
:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ nah deps are an issue

Hey but you are not just stuck on using a debian based distro.......Salixos\Slackware can run Linuxcnc as well.
Last edit: 24 May 2018 09:46 by InMyDarkestHour. Reason: added buildbot link

More
24 May 2018 15:30 - 24 May 2018 15:34 #111089 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 2.8 repo for Ubuntu 16.04

Thanks for reply. Yes, I've seen this HOWTO. It's impressive. However my point is that if this software will be pre-compiled and placed in one repo it will be even more easier for new guys.
I know, that version 2.8 is still in beta mode, that why I was asking if this version will be available (after becoming stable) in few steps:
1) add key;
2) add repo string to apt;
3) apt update;
4) apt install;

Yes, you can get either v2.7 or Master (2.8) this way:

buildbot.linuxcnc.org

[edit] But not for any recent Ubuntu's, now that I look. I think this is related to restrictions on redistribution that Canonical imposed. which is why the LiveCD switched to Debian.
Last edit: 24 May 2018 15:34 by andypugh.

More
25 May 2018 11:48 #111110 by deusex25
Replied by deusex25 on topic 2.8 repo for Ubuntu 16.04
Thanks a lot for your replies here gentlemen.

Pity, that livecd moved from ubuntu.
Yes, you are both right: even if you try to install 2.8 version LinuxCNC from .deb file, you'll be asked for libboost-python1.46.1. A newer versions(1.5 or 1.6 from Xubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 respectively) are not accepted either, despite requirement is ">=1.46.1-1".
Anyway, as far as I can see, we shouldn't expect repositories for modern OS. At least in near future...

More
25 May 2018 12:18 #111112 by InMyDarkestHour
The official iso uses Xfce anyways, so you should feel pretty much at home, jumping from one desktop to another can cause people stress.

Download the iso, burn it to a dvd or dd it to a usb flash disk and run it as a live version to get a feel.

Do you want to control a cnc machine with linuxcnc or just install it on your favourite flavour of linux ?

More
25 May 2018 21:48 #111128 by InMyDarkestHour
What version of xbuntu 16.04 are you using 32 or 64 bit ?

Do you want just to simulate ?

Are you operating your cnc machine via the parallel port or other hardware, remember Linuxcnc will not operate any USB motion control boards due to USB not being able to work with realtime, if you want more info please search the forums it has been discussed a few times ?

More
27 May 2018 12:08 #111184 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 2.8 repo for Ubuntu 16.04

as far as I can see, we shouldn't expect repositories for modern OS. At least in near future...

The versions are partly determined by the availability of realtime kernels. The newest OS with a pre-built package available is Debian Stretch, and that is the current stable version.

The required dependency software versions are shown here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MinimumSoftwareVersions

Some explanation of why the LiveCD~ no longer uses Ubuntu is here:
sourceforge.net/p/emc/mailman/message/36325236/

Some very old platforms are still being built for, just because there is no pressing reason to stop doing so. And it is also being built for the latest released version of the current platform chosen for the liveCD, so it seems a bit unfair to say that no modern OS is supported.

More
27 May 2018 12:31 #111185 by InMyDarkestHour
Sometimes I wonder if some people expect the linuxcnc distro to be more than just a cnc controller. Maybe more "desktop" like.

Personally the iso is a great way to start, all you need to do is configure linuxcnc for your cnc hardware, not having to bother with installing dependencies and having conflicts.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds