Error when trying to run LinuxCNC with Axis/Glade VCP

More
22 Jun 2018 12:06 #112753 by cgibbons
Hi there,

I downloaded linuxCNC from the Github repository . I followed the instructions in the install file located at /home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/docs.

From the top level directory, switch to the source directory:

cd src

In the source directory, build LinuxCNC:

./autogen.sh (this builds the configure script)
./configure
make clean
make
sudo make setuid

to run the software go back to the top level directory, and issue:

source scripts/rip-environment
linuxcnc

When I run: linuxcnc, it boots the configuration screen. Here, I select Axis, it begins to boot and then I get this error in my terminal:
(gladevcp:13743): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file 'example.glade'
**** GLADE VCP ERROR:    With xml file: example.glade : could not create GladeXML object
<commandline>:0: gladevcp exited without becoming ready
Embeded tab command "halcmd loadusr -Wn gladevcp gladevcp -c gladevcp -x 35651726 -u handler.py example.glade" exited with error: 1
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
task: 3322 cycles, min=0.000031, max=0.033231, avg=0.001088, 1 latency excursions (> 10x expected cycle time of 0.001000s)
Note: Using POSIX non-realtime
LinuxCNC terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the log:
    /home/pi/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
    /home/pi/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal

I ran linuxCNC yesterday on my Raspberry Pi and it worked fine with Axis, this morning when I ran the "linuxcnc" command to run LinuxCNC it said command not found so I recompiled with "make clean", "make", "sudo make setuid", and then ran ". ./scripts/rip-environment" in /home/pi/linuxcnc-dev/.

Could someone help me fix my error please? as I have not been able to find a solution anywhere else. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2018 12:44 #112755 by andypugh
If you have complied from source then you will need to always run the . ./scripts/rip-environment script in the same shell as you run the "linuxcnc" command from.

(There are ways round this, for example making a launcher linked to the linuxcnc-dev/scripts/linuxcnc script, or creating and installing debs, but for the moment it is probably better to stick to the problem at hand).

One thing that I do see is that you are not running with a realtime kernel
Note: Using POSIX non-realtime
So you probably won't be able to run hardware as things stand.

The error you see is due to a file that seems to be referenced by the config you are running but which isn't in your path. Which config did you choose?
It is a bit of a concern that one of the demo configs appears to not work, but I don't see that file referenced in sim/axis/axis or sim/axis/axis_mm.

More
22 Jun 2018 13:38 #112761 by cgibbons
Thank you for the reply.

If you have complied from source then you will need to always run the . ./scripts/rip-environment script in the same shell as you run the "linuxcnc" command from.

I have ran the script in the same shell as the linuxcnc command.

One thing that I do see is that you are not running with a realtime kernel

I'm not running a real-time kernel at the moment as I do not need to run hardware, I am just experimenting with changing the GUI.

The error you see is due to a file that seems to be referenced by the config you are running but which isn't in your path. Which config did you choose?

I choose to run Axis (/linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/axis)
Attachments:

More
22 Jun 2018 13:50 #112764 by andypugh
An individual machine config is defined by its INI file (You can have several configs sharing the same HAL files, or any subset thereof, and using a shared or separate tool tables etc).

The sim/axis/ folder contains a number of possible configs, and I am curious which one you chose that caused the error.

Though you do say that you are experimenting with GUIs, so perhaps the missing glade file is one of your own?

More
22 Jun 2018 14:22 #112768 by cgibbons
Oh yes,of course sorry, I should have been more precise; I choose axis.ini

Though you do say that you are experimenting with GUIs, so perhaps the missing glade file is one of your own?

I have not yet created any glade files for use with LinuxCNC as I am having trouble running it on my Raspberry Pi, as you can see.

More
22 Jun 2018 14:29 #112769 by andypugh
This is rather puzzling, then.

The error report says:
"Embeded tab command "halcmd loadusr -Wn gladevcp gladevcp -c gladevcp -x 35651726 -u handler.py example.glade" exited with error: 1"

But I don't see such a command in:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...gs/sim/axis/axis.ini

More
22 Jun 2018 14:39 #112772 by cgibbons
Thank you for your help. Alas, I finally found my error! "GLADEVCP= -u handler.py example.glade" was placed under the "[Display]" container, as the linuxcnc command could not find the example.glade file it was failing to display axis. After removing this line it works perfectly.

Sorry for the hassle, thank you.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds