binary works - compilation not smoothly???

More
05 Jul 2018 21:55 #113521 by schorsch
Hi there,
I have been using linuxcnc for quite a while now. I have a very old Version (2.4.something). I'm using the realtime kernel of an old Linux cnc System. This works really nice.
Now I'm trying to install a 4th axis and wanted to change to the latest linuxcnc (current git master). I also added the rot4thaxiskins from the wiki and adapted the Makefile. Compilation works.

I am using the old ini files (with some apations because ofthe JOINTS Concept and the new kinematics. This works!

But when I am jogging the axis they are not running smoothly…? Did I do thingting wrong during compilation. For me it seems (actually it sounds) that the step-distance is jittering…?

Any hint?

Thanks
Georg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2018 18:23 #113700 by andypugh
Are the acceleration settings the same as they were?
High accel and MPG pulses can sound bad.
But if it worked before it should still work.

Maybe the INI doesn't have entries for both the Axis and Joint accel / velocity limits?

More
07 Jul 2018 19:32 #113708 by schorsch
Hello Andy,
thanks for the quick Reply.

Everything is as it was before.this auto-conversion tool did the Settings for the missing joints itself
I will check the config and upload it later.
from my point of view either the pulses are too short, or they are not in constant intervals. I can check this with an oscilloscope in the next days.

Might it be that I'm running without realtime kernel option somehow??

Thanks
Georg

More
07 Jul 2018 19:53 #113710 by andypugh
If you start LinuxCNC from the command line it will tell you if it is using RTAI real-time, POSIX real-time on POSIX non-realtime.

More
10 Jul 2018 18:57 #113965 by schorsch
Hello Andy et al,

sorry for the late reply, took me one day to repair the power electronics of one axis I destroyed when I was trying to probe the signals...anyhow...working now again.

I figured out that in good working condition my pulses are 50µs long and 3.3V high. In bad working condition they are only 5µs long but some 800-900µs long Signals are in between them. Seems this causes the jitter.

I added a few attachments for the working and non-working cases. You will find the outputs of the startup and the configurations. I'm using the precompiled binary in case of working and the selfmade compilation in case of non-working.

Thanks a lot for your help. Hope you have an idea
Georg
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2018 23:56 #113984 by andypugh
Can you give the command-line output all the way from start to exit of LinuxCNC?

Also, what does uname -a say?

More
11 Jul 2018 21:07 #114029 by schorsch
Hi,
here are the requested outputs.

I didn't mentioned before, that the machine is a stepper machine based on an an L297, but I guess you have seen this from the configs already.

Thanks
Georg
Attachments:

More
11 Jul 2018 21:54 #114033 by andypugh

Note: Using LXRT Realtime

I think this is the problem. You need to run the configure script and choose RTAI realtime.

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/buildi...ing_for_run_in_place

(You need to see what your usr/realtime..... folder is really called)
The following user(s) said Thank You: schorsch

More
18 Jul 2018 21:25 #114494 by schorsch
Hi,
thank you very much.
I just tried it out very quickly.It seems to work now.

….now another topic comes up maybe you can help here too:
Using the configuration as shown above "axis" provides me 4 axis only! What do I have to do in order to get the others?

Remember I was trying to use the rot4thaxis kinematics, that means I have three joints for shifting one for rotationg (around x). I would expect at least XYZAVW (V and W will become my new Y and Z axis as YZ will be rotated around A)

Thank you again
Georg

More
23 Jul 2018 09:35 #114690 by andypugh
This is a combination of the num_joints passed to motmod in the hal (typically from NUM_JOINTS in the INI (but not necessarily), the AXES entry in the INI and (for preview display) the INI GEOMETRY.
Quite how they interact depends a bit on whether you are running 2.7 or 2.8. (Typing on a phone, hard to scroll back through to find if you said)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds