LinuxCNC 2.7 on Debian Stretch (MATE)

More
10 Jul 2018 07:43 #113931 by tiger12506@gmail.com
I noticed that in the Alternate Install Methods of this page Getting LinuxCNC , it shows a table of distributions that one can install linuxcnc against.

I would just like to report that I was able to follow the instructions (with slight modifications, see below) on a more modern Debian Stretch image and was successful with machine control.
jacob@jcnc:~$ uname -a
Linux jcnc 4.9.0-6-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.88-1+deb9u1 (2018-05-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Modified instructions:
In section 7.1 Installing on Debian Wheezy (with Preempt-RT kernel), All of those directions are correct and work for Debian Stretch, except for the line
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://linuxcnc.org/ wheezy base 2.7-uspace"
which needs to say 'stretch' instead of 'wheezy'.

However, that instruction could be changed to say the following:
Add the apt repository by adding the line below to a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, or to the end of the /etc/apt/sources.list file.
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://linuxcnc.org/ stretch base 2.7-uspace"
, because a vanilla network install doesn't seem to include the add-apt-repository wrapper.

I really think this table should be updated -- it made me run around in circles for a while because I thought only as late as wheezy was supported. If there is a better place I can report this, or if I could make a pull request somewhere, does anyone know??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2018 09:25 #113934 by InMyDarkestHour
A quick search of the forums would have brought up a single thread that not only had two links to the same document (one abridged and the other unabridged) but also a link to a stretch LCNC iso.

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/33919-pre...on-jessie-or-stretch

The unabridged doc also addresses the wrapper issue as well.

But maybe if JT's install dos could be made a stick that would be great:

More
10 Jul 2018 13:18 #113943 by BigJohnT

But maybe if JT's install dos could be made a stick that would be great:

Which one is that?

JT

More
10 Jul 2018 16:47 #113957 by InMyDarkestHour
This one:

mesaus.com/info/debian-9-uspace.txt

The one that was so nicely supplied with my 7i92

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds