Doing things backwards - installing Ubuntu after LinuxCNC

More
09 Aug 2018 05:09 #115842 by CNCKoala
Hi Everyone
I have a windows background so Linux and all its derivatives are rather foreign to me. Like many I have moved to LinuxCNC because the cost of windows software was getting prohibitive.

Anyway as well as the CNC router I also have a small desktop laser cutter which I have had to move into the workshop, and that runs with a program called LightBurn. LightBurn requires a 64bit OS to run and there is a Linux based version which I have downloaded, along with Ubuntu 18.04 desktop amd64 which in on a USB drive.

I have done the google thing about setting up my CNC computer as a dual boot,but everyone seems to put Ubuntu on first THEN LinuxCNC.

As a slightly technophobic noobie would someone mind giving me a 'cheat sheet' of instructions on the steps to follow if it can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2018 05:27 #115843 by tommylight
Not clear what you are asking for, is it installing Ubuntu after Linuxcnc or having dual boot start windows as the first option ?
Ubuntu can be install after Linuxcnc, although Linuxcnc runs under Linux so i do not see a point in that, but it can be done as dual boot for sure.
As for starting windows as the first option at boot, search for "grub customizer", install it under linux and change the boot order at will.

More
09 Aug 2018 05:42 #115844 by CNCKoala
Hello again tommylight

I need to install Ubuntu as a dual boot on the computer that is already running LinuxCNC. There will be no windows software used in my workshop B)

The reason I want to install the Ubuntu is because ass far as I can tell LinuxCNC is only a 32bit operating system and LightBurn (lightburnsoftware.com/pages/trial-version-try-before-you-buy) needs to run in a 64bit environment.

My understanding is that with the grub customizer I will be able to select which system starts up, but first I have to somehow install Ubuntu into its own 'partition' of the hard drive. This is the bit that is tripping me up:S

More
09 Aug 2018 07:42 #115845 by tommylight

Hello again tommylight

I need to install Ubuntu as a dual boot on the computer that is already running LinuxCNC. There will be no windows software used in my workshop B)

The reason I want to install the Ubuntu is because ass far as I can tell LinuxCNC is only a 32bit operating system and LightBurn (lightburnsoftware.com/pages/trial-version-try-before-you-buy) needs to run in a 64bit environment.

My understanding is that with the grub customizer I will be able to select which system starts up, but first I have to somehow install Ubuntu into its own 'partition' of the hard drive. This is the bit that is tripping me up:S

Linuxcnc can work under 32 and 64 bit linux, there is already a 64 version of it here
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

More
16 Aug 2018 10:45 #116117 by andypugh

LinuxCNC isn't an operating system at all!

LinuxCNC is an application, that can run on a range of (linux) operating systems. However it does need one of a specific set of kernels.

As tommylight said, your simplest option is likely to be to use the stetch-preempt ISO.

So,
1) back up all of your current linuxcnc folder (configs and g-code files)
2) run the latency test, so you have numbers to compare to see if the preempt-rt kernel is OK on your hardware
3) install the OS and linuxCNC from www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
4) reinstate your linuxcnc folder with your configs and g-code
5) check the latency to be sure it is still OK.

You should then be able to run lightburn without needing to reboot.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds