installing debian 9 on a hard drive that has debian 7 on it.

More
18 Aug 2018 02:34 #116232 by jamby
Hi
I am looking for some hand holding and sympathetic words on how to install debian 9 (per JT's post) onto a hard drive that all ready has debian 7 taking up the whole hard drive.
Do I need to repartion with gparted to get half the hard drive back for 9 ?
Or will 9 be able to load into the existing drive ?

Everything I search for dual boot allways mean windoze/linux

Thanks
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2018 04:44 #116233 by InMyDarkestHour
If the wheezy LiveCD has Gparted on it, boot from the livcd or if not download www.system-rescue-cd.org/

Use Gparted to reclaim whatever you can from your disc then install Debian 9 as per usual, remembering to create the Debian 9 partition in the empty space. The installer should pick up the original Debian 7 install and put that in the grub menu.

After using Gparted I'd reboot into your Wheezy install just to make sure everything is ok.

More
18 Aug 2018 18:51 #116280 by jamby
AnnoyingMutt

Well I won' t bore you with all the tripwires I've tangled with but suffice it to say I am down loading the netinstall file and burning it. I am installing it on another disk by CD and will cross my fingers.

Since BigJohnT was using a Ethernet Mesa card and I am using a 5i25 do I need to do anything different??

Thanks
Jim

More
19 Aug 2018 00:17 #116286 by jamby
Well its been a frustrating Sat. I threw in the towel trying to get a usb bootable gparted and debian 9.5 to work and jury rigged a dvd player and a different hard drive up. I downloaded firmware-9.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso and renamed it amd64-netinst.iso. Installed same with gnome desktop and booted up, when to /etc/lightdm but that directory doesn't exist. Went to synaptic and got linux-image-4.9.0.6-rt and its show as installed in synaptic, but when booting it doesn't show in the grub menu. And uname -a doesn't show anything but the original image.
I tried running udate-grub but that didn't do anything.

At a loss, don't know what to do next???
At instalation i was given the choice where to put grub and I selected the lower choice which I thought was my /dev/sda .... but...

I added vim, vsftpd, openssh but openssh won't connect, port 22 won't connect.
but vim works nicely. Had my first experience fighting with iptables ..err

Not a good day
Jim

More
19 Aug 2018 06:03 #116289 by tommylight
Install netinstall iso as per usual ( i only choose Mate ), reboot, update and upgrade, download something similar to this:
linux-image-4.8.11-rt7_4.8.11-rt7-1_amd64.deb
linux-headers-4.8.11-rt7_4.8.11-rt7-1_amd64.deb
linux-firmware-image-4.8.11-rt7_4.8.11-rt7-1_amd64.deb
reboot, chose "advanced options for .......",
purge the other kernel or install "grub-cusomizer" and set the RT kernel as default.
Go to buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/stretch/mast...reempt/binary-amd64/
download the latest version if you feel lucky or go to version 2.7 and download the deb, install.
that is it. it works every time.

More
19 Aug 2018 15:22 - 19 Aug 2018 18:23 #116317 by jamby
tommylight

I am using apt-get and apt-cache search and have located the linux-image, linux-header, but can't locate the linux-firmware??
Do I need to load another repository the only one I have is the one at the top of the list during install "ftp.debian"

IGnore below.
I installed and used apt-get for the update and upgrade. Do you use synaptic or apt-get for the images, headers and firmware? And I need each of them, yes?
And if I use apt-get how do I search for the correct files?

thanks
Jim
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 18:23 by jamby.

More
19 Aug 2018 23:05 - 19 Aug 2018 23:10 #116355 by InMyDarkestHour
The install of the required Linuxcnc parts is done post install of the debian system.

The latest rt kernel is -7 (not -6 as per JT's instructions)
sudo apt install linux*7*rt
The above will install the debug kernel but it's not an issue and can be removed later.

For the firmware (Linux only not mesa) you can select the following:
firmware-linux-free
firmware-linux-nonfree
firmware-linux-misc-nonfree

The required repos need to be setup to install the Linuxcnc parts (see JT's instructions)

When you installed debian 9.5 did you install grub to the MBR ? Or did you install it somewhere else ?

If you didn't install grub on the mbr you will have to boot into the previous debian install and run update-grub from there.

This some shed some light on setting up ssh if you are still having issues
linuxhint.com/enable-ssh-server-debian/
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 23:10 by InMyDarkestHour.

More
20 Aug 2018 00:04 #116358 by jamby
AnnoyingMutt

Well its been a fun several hours but here's where I am now. I have a debian system running and jogging the machine.
#1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u2 (2018-08-13)
How I got here is still a mystery to me but it was mostly by your encouragement.

I loaded the system into an old 160 gb hard drive leftover from some upgrade to my centos system 6 years ago. There are a pile of hardware problems but its running.

I have to shutdown the computer on reboot or it can't find the hard drive? o-well.
These errors show up at boot but arn't in the dmesg.
lvmetad - fail will scan for ....
KVM disablsed by bios...
These are repeated twice at one font size and then 4 times each in a smaller font.

But I can ssh and ncftp into and out of the box so that's good.

Thanks again for your help.
Jim

More
20 Aug 2018 22:36 #116389 by jamby
I need to put this note in for myself as much as anyone.

This was a clean install on a used hard drive over writing all data.

apt-get image then headers. header reported missing dependencies for "Bt3", that is as close as I can remember. But googling showed a "firmware" that supplied them so I used apt-get for that firmware and all appears well. If anyone knows a way I can display which "image, header and firmware" I used I will post that indo.

Thanks again
Jim

More
22 Aug 2018 00:11 #116437 by jamby
AnnoyingMutt

Now when I bootup the computer I have to select the second line down on the grub menu and then select the RT image. Is there a way to make it the first boot?

Thanks
Jim

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds