Can't get Live/Install CD to work. What am I doing wrong?

More
03 Dec 2018 21:48 #121774 by joe
I've been using LinuxCNC for years on an old machine that is ready to die, and I'm trying to get a new machine ready. That machine is currently running Mint, but I want to just wipe it and go with the live install.

So using a windows 10 machine I downloaded 2.7 from the link in the instructions. I verified the image. I burned the the image to DVD - nothing I haven't done before.

I put it in the new machine (with the boot sequence changed so that it reads DVD and USB first) and nothing happens. I tried on my laptop, it skips it, my desktop it skips it. So I tried making a bootable USB - same problem.

Then I repeated the entire process on a machine that's running Mint. I don't know much about Mint, but I used the instructions to download the entire 1.1gb file again (on rural broadband 1.1gb takes a long, long time to download twice) check it, and create a bootable USB. The Mint machine just skips on past it like before on bootup. The Windows machines skip past it on bootup, and when I try to look at the files it tells me the USB is hosed and needs to be reformatted.

What am I doing wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2018 22:40 #121778 by alan_3301
I have had some machines that boot from usb was disabled in bios by default.
Might be worth checking the bios settings.

More
03 Dec 2018 22:49 #121779 by joe
Thanks, but boot sequence was the first thing I checked. DVD and USB are above hard drive on all three machines I've tried, and the only method disabled is network.

More
03 Dec 2018 22:51 #121780 by alan_3301
On the motherboard I had trouble with, even though usb was in the boot order, it wouldn't boot from usb until I enabled a separate "boot from usb" option in the bios.

More
03 Dec 2018 23:01 #121781 by joe
OK, I'll check again but my BIOS all look the same - when a method is completely disabled it drops to a separate list on the same page.

More
05 Jan 2019 23:03 #123576 by mmaenz
Hi,

got exactly the same problem. I think maybe the image is corrupted in some way? It's not a BIOS setting! Booting from USB works just fine.

Running OSX which can mount iso without problem but doesn't work, says no mountable filesystems found in iso. Diskutil refuses to open image. dd'ing the image does not work. Only Rufus is doing a working syslinux but thats all. When trying to run linuxcnc from the menu I always get corrupted image error. MemTest and SysInfo (in advanced menu work just fine but I'm pretty unsure if it is part of linuxcnc or from rufus/syslinux). Installing from USB is impossible, installer starts but is always looking for a cd with the installation files.

Tried to burn the iso in different ways, does not work.
Used the mentioned way on VirtualBox Windows with infrarecorder. Everything went ok, but can't boot, cd is corrupt, can't even be read. Can have a look at the iso in windows with ultraiso but can't burn due to unknown error.

What I tried so far:
Iso: linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso - downloaded several times, md5 is exactly as in install doc.

USB:
- on OSX with dd copying (manual), converting to img with diskutil and dd
- on Windows (VirtualBox) Rufus, Win32DiskImager, unetbootin, pendrive Universal-USB-Installer, LinuxLive USB Creator
DVD:
- on OSX with burn-osx, build-in burn
- on Windows (VirtualBox) infrarecorder, UltraISO

My next step will be to install linux in VirtualBox and try to copy the linux dd way (may differs from apple dd?) or use the in the docs mentioned way to burn dvd.

Hope that helps to make progress?

-Michael

More
06 Jan 2019 16:32 #123615 by andypugh
I have used Apple dd many times, so it definitely can work for this.

I think that it might help to use bs= in the dd command, ie

[code]dd if=linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso of=/dev/sde bs=1m[code]

That said, I haven't had cause to do it with the current ISO.

More
06 Jan 2019 16:57 #123616 by joe
I don't know, you seem to have gotten farther than I did if you can get error messages. I tried installing on new computers until the old one died, then I was out of time and was forced to go to the dark side. I love LinuxCNC, but I like actual CNCing more. :)

Good luck, hope you get it going. You might try an older computer - when I did my first install it was on a geriatric Dell Optiplex and I think it took about 5 minutes total.

More
06 Jan 2019 21:34 #123644 by rodw
I'm sure others have a different experience but I've never had success creating a bootable USB from Linux.
But if I use Win32DiskImager in Windows, they work every time! You just need to rename the file from .ISO to .IMG

More
06 Jan 2019 21:47 #123647 by Todd Zuercher
Actually you don't even have to rename the file, just specify *.* instead of *.IMG in the file chooser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds